Epilogue (One Shot Winner)

Written by: 20charlie11

I cannot believe Haymitch. How could he drop all that on me?

Rory gone... District Twelve gone...

And District Thirteen. Its real. We're here. We've been here a week. Finnick, Peeta, Haymitch, Plutarch. Katniss has been here longer. She's the one who saved District Twelve. My big sister.

Well... most of them anyway. Peeta's family, Madge and Mayor Undersee. All gone. And more that no one knows.

"Prim? Primrose?"

"What do you want Finnick?" I call from the bathroom.

"I'll tell you. If you let me in."

It's been like this for a week. He comes to my door to talk to me. I let him in after he tries to wake the whole District by yelling.

It's a funny routine.

"Coming!" I call. "But you better have some good news."

Ha. Yeah. That's going to happen.

I pull the door open and he invites himself in.

"D'ya know, you've got a bigger apartment than me."

I find that hard to believe. I have one of the smallest. Because it's just me. Mama and Katniss share an apartment. I don't exactly know why I can't share with them.

Instead of saying all of that, I say, "Wanna look around?" I say it as if it's a dare. We don't have official jobs, so we're pretty much free to do what we want. But there're places we're not permitted to go. To be fair, I go anyways, but Finnick always refuses.

"Sure. Why not?"

My shock must show on my face, because he laughs.

"I'm not a complete goody two shoes."

Now that makes me laugh, because everyone knows he's not a goody two shoes. At all.

"Where are we going? Farms, canteen, ammunitions warehouse, helipad, hangar?"

"How about..." I think for a moment. "Outside?"

Now he looks shocked. I am not one to break the rules as much. And that's the number one rule. No one leaves unless President Coin has expressively told them too.

"And I am not going to Coin." For some reason, the moany old lady hates me. With a passion. It's annoying. Whenever we're in the same room, she glares at me. Does make for some rather eventful meetings though.

"Well, are we going?"

I nod.

"Let's go then."

I grab my slingshot and my bag. I didn't eat last night, so I packed it in my bag. It seemed like a good idea, and it proved. I suppose we could have just gone to the kitchen, but I've been underground too long.

I follow him to the stairs at the end of the corridor and we make our way up. The floor below ground is guarded, because the meeting room's up here.

"We're gonna have to sneak past them," he whispers.

"Nah. We're gonna walk right past them," I reply. I'm not stupid.

He ignores me. "When the group goes round the corner, we have about five minutes until they get back round here. That means about four minutes to get to those stairs." He looks at me for conformation. I want to slap him, but I nod. It takes everything I have to not yell 'I've been in The Hunger Games as well you know'.

The patrol goes round the corner and we run towards the stairs, not bothering to hide our footsteps.

Not that we really need to. We've both had experience, and it's second nature now.

We get to the stairs and run up. Not much later, we're clear of the surface, breathing in the sweet clean air of a forest.

A stream runs next to us, reminding me of the snowmelt in the Meadow.

I feel tears running down my face as I remember the second fallen District, my home.

"Hey, Prim. Prim. Primrose Everdeen."

He knows I hate it when he calls me that.

I reach over and playfully hit him.

"Don't call me Primrose."

"Don't cry then," he says. "Wanna have a swimming contest?"

"But you're from District Four!" I pause. "You're on."

I jump into the water fully clothed, and Finnick follows, slipping off his shoes.

"Best. Day. Ever." I say, swimming towards a pool in the water.

"I don't doubt that," replies Finnick, laughing.

"Race you to the other end."

"Let's go," he adds cockily. "But don't even bother trying. We both know I'm gonna win."

I grin at him, and swim off.