Don't Play With Fire

Ouija Board story

As a child, I was always interested in ghosts and haunted houses, and all the other things children were drawn into that concerned the paranormal. I would watch shows concerning the world's most haunted places, and play horror games like Resident Evil and such, but it wasn't until I was about 16 that I decided to actually get involved.

During my junior year in high school, I wasn't anybody special. I wasn't a nerd or a geek, and I certainly wasn't a jock. You could say I was more "neutral." There was this one girl, who was scene or something like that, and was always picked on. She looked like pretty much what you'd expect; blue hair, nose and cheek piercings, and wore My Chemical Romance t-shirts.

One day after school, I was walking home with my friend Jared, when we noticed her sitting in a corner by the back doors, using some kind of board. I was intrigued, but as I started to walk, Jared stopped me and said, "Dude she's a freak, why do you want to go over there anyway?" I told him that I wanted to see what the board was. "Okay man, just don't let her bite you with her fangs." We both laughed.

I walked over there and said, "Um, hi, I'm Joey," she looked at me with a confused look.

"What are you doing here?" she said in a stubborn but calm way.

"Well, I was wondering what that board you're using is." she then smiled in what seemed like relief.

"Oh this? It's a Ouija board, you use it to communicate with spirits. I can show you how to use it if you want." I could see Jared in the background laughing at me.

"Okay, sure," I said politely.

"Hey retard, we gotta go!" Jared yelled from afar.

"I can show you how to use it tomorrow if you want."

"Okay, bye. Wait, what's your name?"

"Jenny," she told me.

I ran back to Jared. "Well?" he asked.

"Oh the board? It's called a Ouija board, apparently you use it to communicate with spirits." Jared looked at me and started laughing.

"Are you serious? Do you know how stupid that sounds?"

"Yeah, yeah. Let's just go home man."

That night, I asked my Mom if she knew anything about Ouija boards. She said what pretty much any mother would say "Don't get into that stuff sweetheart, you're playing with fire." I then did my homework for algebra and fell asleep on my couch watching an episode of Family Guy.

The next day, back at school, all I could think about was Jenny and her Ouija board. I was so curious, but nervous at the same time, about what it was. I didn't have any classes with her, so I couldn't ask her any questions, plus, I didn't want to come off as annoying.

At the end of the day, I went back to that spot and waited about ten minutes for her.

"Are you ready?" she asked.

"As ready as I'll ever be I guess."

Out of her black backpack, she pulled out a wooden board that had a sun and moon on the top left and right corners, labeled "Yes" and "No", along with the alphabet and numbered zero through nine, and the word "Goodbye" on the bottom. Along with the board she pulled out something that looked like an upside down heart with a hole in the center. We sat down as she told me what all of these things were and represented.