Chapter 9.

"Alright, you know what to do. Just do what you did on Friday and you'll be good."

I turned around and faced Ryder with a worried expression.

"What if I freak out and don't make it? Do you know how embarrassing that will be? I don't want to fail infront of everyone."

He grabbed my face in his hands and made me look into his eyes.

"You'll do great. I know you will. And even if you don't, nobody will care because you look extremely hot," he said and kissed my forehead.

I rolled my eyes at the last comment and walked to the field.

It was after school on Monday. The weekend past like the blink of an eye and before I knew it I was in class again. Ryder managed to convince the soccer coach to let me try out even though it's an all boys team.

I'm guessing Ryder didn't need to persuade him too much because he was the coach's star player. Aka his favorite.

I was currently freaking out because all the boys from the soccer team were here and were gonna watch me try out. And to add onto it, there were students standing here and there who would then probably see me play.

Thankfully Isla was here and so was Blake.

Turns out he was on the team too. The other guys they usually hang out with were on the team too and a couple seniors.

Ryder put a hand on the small of my back and guided me towards the coach.

I hadn't seen him before. He was in his mid-thirties maybe early forties and he was good built. He looked friendly but you could tell that when it came so practise, he would be very serious.

I held out my hand and introduced myself. "I'm Kennedy Andrews."

"Ah, so you're the girl Ryder has been talking about nonstop."

I looked at Ryder with an amused expression. He caught my eyes and looked away.

"I'm Coach Samuel."

"It's a pleasure to meet you."

"The pleasure's all mine. Now, let's get down to business. You do know that because this is an all boys team you will have to be an excellent player. I will not give you special treatment because you're a girl."

"Of course. I completely understand. I wouldn't want it any other way," I agreed.

Coach Samuel looked at Ryder and nodded his head in approval. Ryder smiled proudly. "I told you she's different."

"You sure did, Ryder."

He turned back to me.

"Okay, first I want to see your skill. Then you're going to play one on one with one of our players and finally you'll play with the whole team. Sound good?"

I nodded my head.

"Alright, then let's not waste any time."

Ryder took a few steps back and Coach Samuel kicked me the soccer ball.

"First, I want to see your footwork."

____________________

Come on, Kennedy! You got this! Just one last goal!

I urged my foot to go forward and I kicked the ball to the goal. It went through the goal posts and flew into the net.

I did it! I'm in!

"Yes! You did it, babe!" Ryder ran up to me and hugged me. He picked me up and and twirled me around before setting me down.

"You made the team!" he smiled proudly at me and I smiled back at him while panting slightly.