Chapter 20.

A while later we arrived at their school. It was already packed. There were people everywhere.

We got out of the shuttle bus and made our way to the field. The bleachers were full of people. Most of them were kids from this school but there were a few younger and older people here as well.

I looked around and took it all in. People were excitedly shouting all over the place. The team we were playing against was together in a corner.

"Okay, this is it. Our first game," coach said. "We have about 10 minutes till the game starts so warm up."

We started stretching when I heard a voice behind me.

"Nice to see you here."

I let out an exasperated sigh and rolled my eyes. I already knew who it was. "Hello, Nick," I said without turning around.

"Come on. You're not even a little excited to see me?"

I turned around to face him and gave him a blank look. "Is there something I can help you with?"

"You know, you should be a little more respectful. You are at my school after all."

"No matter where we are, I will never treat you with respect unless you prove to me that you deserve it," I retorted.

"Good afternoon everyone! Are you all ready for a game?" the announcer shouted through a microphone.

The crowd cheered and hollered wildly.

"That's my cue to leave," Nick said. "I'll see you on the field." He winked at me before walking away.

"Yeah, look for me! I'll be the one kicking your ass!" I shouted after him.

"I think you've got the roles reversed, sweetheart!" he called over his shoulder and walked to where his team was.

I glared at his back and didn't even notice when Ryder stood front of me until he said something.

"Come on. You can plan on how to kill him later. We need to go," he said and held out his hand.

I snapped out of it and looked at him. "Oh, uh...thanks," I said and grabbed his hand.

He pulled me up but I wasn't expecting him to pull with such strong force so I stumbled forward. Ryder caught me before I could fall. He staggered back a bit but managed to keep both of us up. We were tightly pressed against each other so it was probably a bad idea for me to look up into his eyes, but when do I ever choose the smart choices.

"Thanks. For catching me," I said and placed my hands on his chest to push myself up.

I could feel his muscles tense slightly under my touch but I ignored it and gave him a thankful smile. He smiled back and we walked over to the group.

"Alright. We got this. Just do what you've been doing. Kennedy and Ryder, make sure to stay focused. You two are our fastest players. And watch out for Cody, he has very quick reflexes and will take the ball back before you can even steal it."

I raised my hand. "Uh..who's Cody?"

"The guy who's currently auditioning for the role of the worlds best gymnast," Blake answered and pointed to a guy who was currently doing back flips over in a corner.

"Well then..."

"There's no reason we can't win this. We've beaten them before and we can do it again. And if you need any more motivation, if you don't win you will never see the sunlight again. Now let's do this!" coach cheered.

We walked onto the field and got into our positions. The guys on the other team gave each other confused looks when they saw me, a girl, walking out onto the field. Nick however was standing there completely unfazed. I'm guessing he already knew I was playing against them.