Chapter 11.

"I'm home!" I called out when I walked through the front door.

"Oh, hi, honey!" my mom greeted while frantically running around the house.

"Wow, what's going on?" I asked as I saw her throwing things in a suitcase.

"The trip was moved up so your father and I are leaving early," she told me as she packed any last minute stuff. "Didn't you read the messages I sent you?" she scolded.

"I thought you didn't want me to always be on my phone," I mumbled while rolling my eyes.

"What did you say, sweetie?"

"Nothing! You need help?"

"No, I think we have everything."

My dad came out of the kitchen with his phone against his ear. "Alright, thank you." He hung up and put on his shoes.

"The cab will be here any minute. We should get the suitcases outside," he said and opened the front door.

"How long will you be gone?" I asked my mom while she put on some lipstick.

"5 days. 6 if the meetings take longer." She put her lipstick in her bag and turned to me. "Oh, and by the way Nathan will be sleeping over at a friend's houses from Friday to Saturday. And he's at one of his friend's houses right now. The boy's mom will bring him back home later," she told me while kissing my cheek, probably leaving a lipstick stain.

I wiped my cheek with the back of my hand.

"The cab's here," my dad told my mom as he came back inside.

"Goodbye, sweetie. Take care of your brothers," he told me and kissed the top of my head. "Call us every day."

"Alright, bye guys!"

I watched them walk outside and drive away. I saw the cab drive around the corner and closed the door before walking up the stairs.

I saw Dylan coming out of his room.

"Hey, you're home!"

I glared at him and shoved past him, bumping him with my shoulder.

"Ahh, you're mad about that," he said, referring to the whole hickey thing at school. "It's your fault. You wouldn't tell me who you've been sneaking off with," he told me matter of factly.

My jaw dropped to the ground and I turned around very slowly, not believing what he just said.

"So? I don't ask you about every girl that you see or that gives you her number," I argued.

"Because you're my sister. Me, being your older brother, am obligated to interrogate whoever you see."

I gave him a blank look. "That's a weak excuse."

He rolled his eyes. "Whatever. I'm going out. So I'll see you later." He ruffled my hair as he walked past me and I scowled, trying to fix it.

I stood outside of my room, thinking if I should go out too. There was nothing to do here. And I've never been to the mall here so I might as well go. I called Isla to ask her if she wants to come with me.

"Yes? "

"Hey! So I was wondering if you wanted to go to the mall with me because I'm bored and I wanna go out."

"I would love to. Really, I would. But I have to help my mom around the house because we have family coming over today."

I sighed. "Really? Okay, I talk to you later then," I said.