Chapter 15.

"Alright! You have 15 minutes till we start do drive again! So make it quick!"

I jolted awake and rubbed the sleep from my eyes. I looked up and saw our coach walking out of the bus with the rest of the team. There was a gas station with a small store outside. I thought I was the only one left on the bus until I heard some shuffling next to me.

I looked over and saw Ryder get into a more comfortable position while still asleep.

Hmm...

I quietly stood up and leaned over him.

If we weren't ever going to be together I might as well show him what else I have up my sleeve.

I cleared my throat quietly.

"Ryder, wake up! There's a fire!"

He jumped and snapped his eyes open. He looked around hectically to see were the fire is. Once he came to the conclusion that there was in fact no fire and I was just lying he glared at me.

"You couldn't have just shaken my shoulder?" he asked with an annoyed tone and yawned.

"Nope!" I said and skipped out of the bus.

I stepped outside and took a deep breath. I let the fresh air go through my lungs as I walked towards the store. Most of the guys were buying some food or just looking around. They were flipping through magazines or arguing about which flavour ICEE is the best.

I laughed quietly at them and walked to the bathroom.

When I came back to the front I saw all of the guys including Ryder outside of the store and playing with a soccer ball.

I decided to buy myself an ICEE and then headed out of the store. The sun was already very high and so it was really warm. I took off the thin jacket I had on, showing the crop top I wore.

I took a sip of my ICEE as I walked over to where the guys were playing. A guy, I think his name was Dave, was trying to keep the ball in the air by bouncing it on his foot while the others tried to get it.

I moved quickly and managed to steal the ball from him, careful not to spill my ICEE. I bounced it on my knee but stopped when I saw the boys staring at me.

"What?" I asked and held the ball still.

"How were you able to take it from him that fast? We've been trying to take it from him for a solid five minutes!" one guy said in astonishment.

I just shrugged and took another sip of my ICEE.

"Ryder was right. You really are an amazing soccer player!"

I choked on my icee when I heard someone say that and started to cough a little. Ryder was watching my reaction but I could see that he also got a little tense at those words.

"Well then try to beat me!" I cheered with fake happiness and kicked the ball in the air.

Everyone except us two immediately forgot about what had just happened and chased after the ball like a pack of dogs.

We stood there awkwardly so I tried to think of something to talk about to fill the silence.

"So do you know how much longer we have to drive?" I asked him.

Yeah. Great conversation starter, Kennedy. Good job.

"Yeah. About 4 more hours," he answered.

Okay then.

Before it could get any more uncomfortable, I was being called by some of the guys. "Hey, Kennedy! Get over here and play with us!"

Since I had nothing better to do and did not want things to get anymore awkward I set down my ICEE and jog to where the guys were currently playing.