[32- Settling In]

Coming back from our hunt gave me a chance to look at the back of the house. It looked like it was carved out of a small hill, the different levels hugging the moderate incline. To the right, concealed by rows of flowers was a small two seated porch chair, Esme was so detailed. We passed the window of our new room and went up the rock stairs to the living room

 We passed the window of our new room and went up the rock stairs to the living room

Alice was shocked by the remains of my tattered clothing when we came back, an audible gasp escaping her mouth

"I bought that shirt for you a couple of days ago! It's from Milan!" I couldn't help but laugh. 

It didn't take long to unpack the moving boxes that were delivered promptly at 6 the next morning. Esme coordinated the hanging of the paintings around the house. Some of them were no doubt priceless originals, worth millions, but to the Cullens, they were just decorations.

On the shelving unit that surrounded the TV, I meticulously organised our games and tech gadgets. If we were more into books, these would be a perfect place to arrange them.

After the house was set up to Esme and Alice's liking, Carlisle suggested I find a hobby, an ongoing project to keep me busy. He said that it helps you feel fulfilled, gives you a purpose in our infinitely long lives.

The Cullen's personal interests were closely tied to their personalities. Carlisle's pastime was medical trends and scientific discoveries, Jasper stays up–to–date with investing and business opportunities, helping the Cullen's maintain their astronomical wealth. Esme kept us all aware of current social and community issues, Edward was into music, and Alice loved fashion. Emmett switched what he was doing fairly often but right now it was cars. I loved sport but something like running wouldn't be feasible and it wasn't like I needed to train.

I decided to focus on coding. More specifically, an app. In high school, I had thought of a couple ideas but I never had the time or skill to create it.

The goal was to use my knowledge in that space to eventually create a video game, something that Emmett and I could play that would actually be challenging. And I wanted to contribute to the Cullen's wealth, after all they have done for me, to repay them in a minute way seemed like a good start. I would have to do it under an alias, they used them for just about everything; publishing medical journals, houses plans, clothing, etc. Being the public eye was dangerous for people who had secrets.

Alice stocked my closet, which in hindsight wasn't a good idea. I pulled down the zipper on a bag in the closet, growling under my breath when I saw the floorlength silk gown inside—baby pink. Finding something normal to wear each day would take forever! After that, I decided to buy my own clothes online secretly, but Alice probably already knew.

My relationship with Emmett progressed smoothly. He was my best friend, I couldn't imagine trying to navigate my new, crazy life without him. Most nights when I wasn't working on my game, we spent either talking or playing video games.

"El, are you still interested in going to Dartmouth?" He asked one night. I completely forgot about our plans to go together in the fall. It was coming up soon.

"I don't know. What if I can't handle it?"

"Carlisle thinks you're ready. Jasper has confidence in your self control. We can take normal classes this semester since it's winter." College sounded fun. Computer science was my intended major but perhaps studying economics would help me with the business side of my future endeavours.

Jasper and Alice had also been accepted into Dartmouth to take a break from high school. Edward decided to take a break from school all together. I wasn't exactly sure what he had planned but I was curious to find out.

Although I didn't feel 100% ready to go college, it was the best choice. I need time to discover who I was, challenge my mind. But I was mainly doing it for my parents. They would have been so proud to know their daughter was a college graduate.

Jasper, having worked with newborns centuries prior was amazed at my self control as a new vampire. Of course the first couple of months weren't perfect but he said I maintained a good control over my emotions. Carlisle had several theories but none that could fully explain my odd behaviour.

As my human blood drained from my body, my running ability still surpassed Edwards. Carlisle was impressed. In his hundreds of years of existence, he had never witnessed anyone as fast as I was. If I surprised Carlisle, who had more experience than most, I must have been unique. He theorised that my new skill had manifested from my natural human athleticism.

Secretly I wanted a cooler ability, maybe flight or mind control but speed was alright.