Chapter 18

Beeep beeeep BEEEP! I jerked awake to the frantic beeping. Joey! He was asleep and his breathing was very shallow. 

  A nurse pushed past me and began trying to help him, as I stared in shock, trying to keep my own breathing under control. I felt someone guiding me out, and just numbly followed. 

  A while later when I'd calmed down, I found myself on a bench next to Joey's mom.  Her face was tear streaked, and I expected the worst. 

  "I-is-?" I asked, unable to finish. 

  "He isn't gone." She whispered. "But he won't wake up. They said his lung is giving out, from the cancer. Only one is affected, but... it's swelling so much that the other can't function either." 

  He was going to die. I couldn't say bye... He wouldn't say bye. I started to cry, half-heartedly ashamed for crying in public. 

  Then something occured to me. What if... 

  I leapt up and sprinted down the hall, ignoring the various people attempting to stop me or asking where I was going. 

  I stopped, panting heavily, at Joey's door where the doctor was coming out looking grave. 

  "Is- Is he still- Alive?" I panted. 

  "He is," The doctor said, "But not for long." 

  "Is there any way, even the slightest chance, he could live?" I asked quickly. 

  "Well not as it is now, no. He needs a lung transplant, but there haven't been anyone for months willing." He explained. 

  "Yes, there is now." I said firmly. 

  His brow furrowed. "You?" 

  I nodded quickly. 

  "You do realize there's a chance one or both of you could die, correct?" 

  "Yes. And I'll take the chance! Come on let's do this now-" 

  "Whoa, hold on. Don't you have to ask your parents? Say bye to anyone?" He asked, as though talking to a toddler. 

  "That boy," I pointed to Joey's door, "Is the only person I have in this world. I have nothing to say to anyone but him. I have no parents, and no other friends." 

  "Okay then." He looked taken aback. "I'll run a few tests quickly, and then we can do the transplant." 

  "Perfect. Let's go." I hurried him on. 

............................................................................................................

  I sat on the bench again, awaiting the last test results. This had better work! I felt sick with worry and anxiety, but managed to keep it together and not freak out. 

  The doctor came out of the room and I was on my feet immediately. "Well?" I asked as soon as he was opening his mouth to reply. 

  "Well it seems that your lungs are incredibly weak, young lady. We can still do the operation, but there's almost a hundred percent chance you won't make it." He explained sternly. 

  I would most likely not live. I'd promised Joey I wouldn't die... He'd spent the last of his life to make me happy and keep me alive. What would he do if he woke up alive to find me dead? 

  But Joey would. Joey had a life, a future, everything he needed to be happy. All my happiness and hope lay in Joey, I'd basically be a shell of a girl without him. 

  "Do it." I demanded, determination in my voice. If I was going to go out, I'd rather it be I die for a good cause than be a numb useless lump only alive because of a promise. 

  He handed me a piece of paper and a pen. "For if you wish to write anything to anyone, just in case?" He asked. 

  I took them and scribbled quickly, hoping it wasn't too late already, 

  I love you Joey, live a good life okay? Please don't be upset that I died, you need to live more than I do. Tell your mom thanks for being so nice and sorry I was scared of her, there's no need for that. And give Chloe and my mom a piece of your mind, as it agrees with mine. Love, your girlfriend forever, Nicky. 

  I folded it up and handed it to the doctor, then followed him to the operating room where he said Joey was already waiting, asleep. 

  He had me lay down on a table and rolled my sleeve up, giving me an odd look when he caught sight of all my scars, then gave me the sedative through a needle. 

  I smiled, knowing that now, whatever happened, I'd get my wish.