chapter five

The days started to become easier to Alaina as she became more comfortable with her new surroundings and her new classmates. As much as her heart pulled her to Detroit, Forks was (begrudgingly so) becoming her home. Alaina and Bella were becoming very good friends as time passed, making her time at school bearable.

Even Alaina's parents were finding their place in Forks. Her mother was a principal back in Detroit and had found it very hard to find somewhere to work in such a modest town. Since the area was so small and there weren't many schools, there weren't many job openings. But there was a small, part-time administrative role in one of the local elementary schools that was vacant, and she quickly applied for the job. Getting out of the house had been good for her and Alaina could tell how happy she was being around children once again.

Her father had always been a very hard worker, and when the interstate project came to Forks, he jumped at the chance to be one of the leaders. The project was going according to plan so far and he was starting to become close with the local workers, and surprisingly, Chief Charlie Swan. Her father had explained that because the project had "a lot of moving parts," the police crew had to be involved to make sure the roads that they were working on were properly blocked off. Alaina couldn't have been happier that her closest friend's dad was becoming friends with her father.

Today at school, Mr. Molina was droning on about genetics and Punnett Squares, Mike was whispering to her about the weather, and Bella was awkwardly trying to flirt with Edward Cullen. Overall, a normal Thursday in Forks, Washington. Alaina was doodling absentmindedly, ignoring both Mike and the teacher. She didn't understand biology, and trying to focus was futile; she knew Bella would explain everything to her later when they studied together. A pang of jealousy shot through her she glanced up at Edward, who was staring at Bella intensely like no one else was in the room and nothing in his entire life mattered more than her.

Bella had told Alaina that he barely talks to her, but she didn't see the way that he watches her when he doesn't think she's looking. She didn't see his unblinking stare. And she definitely didn't see how he positioned himself to be as close to her as he possibly could. Her initial reaction of jealousy was replaced quickly by sadness. Alaina knew she was different than the other girls at Forks, and it was blindingly obvious just how different she was when she was with Bella. Bella was tiny in almost every way and effortlessly beautiful. It was no surprise that almost every guy in junior year tried to flirt with her every chance they had.

Alaina felt like the polar opposite of her friend: she was very tall and curvier than she would have liked. Since moving to Forks, Alaina had started to gain weight and it was beginning to show. The boys in her grade tended to leave her alone in the way that they bother Bella. The only guys who ever paid her much attention were Mike, who could have a conversation with a dead tree and Emmett.

Alaina's mind began to involuntarily wonder to Emmett, and she became annoyed with herself for even bothering to let him into her thoughts. The only issue that Alaina was having at school (well, only issue besides her biology grade) was Emmett Cullen. She only had one class with him, but that was one class too many. From day one, Emmett was extremely cruel to her, picking on her in gym, from the way she played sports to the way that she completed the daily warm-up. Every time she saw him, a pit of dread filled her body and there wasn't one day that went by without that she didn't fantasize about skipping P.E.

Her days went by more quickly than ever, and she couldn't believe that she was already stepping off of the bus, waving goodbye to Harry, and walking into her parent's home.

"Hey, honey!" Her mom said happily, hearing her close the door behind her. She sounded so much happier than she had been just a few weeks ago. Alaina was eternally grateful that her mom found that job to distract her from the court case that was looming in the distance. The court case. The mere thought of it caused Alaina's heart rate to increase and fear spread through her veins. It seemed as if her whole life was revolving around this secret. She knew she should tell Bella, but it just wasn't the right time. She wasn't ready just yet.