chapter seventeen

CONTENT WARNING: Sexual Assault mirroring current events. A lot of content was taken directly from court case documents. Rating changed to M.

Disclaimer: This is a completely unrealistic court setting for dramatic purposes only.

A loud door closed behind Alaina and she saw the judge walking up to the stand. "Good morning," the judge said monotonously to the courtroom. Almost every seat was filled, either by reporters or supporters for her rapist. She shuddered to think that the name and reputation of a family can be so powerful. "We are here today to go over the case of Alaina Pawloska versus Bryce Townsend. Mr. Townsend has been accused of two counts of sexual misconduct and has pleaded not guilty. The jury has been selected from eligible residents from the state of Michigan to assist in this case."

Alaina wrung her hands nervously as she glanced over to the jury. She didn't recognize any of their faces, which was good. It was less likely they were from the area and knew the influence that the Townsend family had over their town.

After the judge began the proceedings, everything seemed to be moving in slow motion. Initial arguments went on for over an hour, as each lawyer read their prepared case. Alaina was quickly losing focus, if not on purpose until her lawyer called Bryce up to the stand. He was sworn in under oath and sat down next to the judge.

"Mr. Townsend," her lawyer began, setting down his paperwork on the table in front of Alaina, the questions already memorized from weeks of preparation. "We all know why you are here today, so I will skip the formalities." Her lawyer spoke calmly, watching Bryce for specific movements and moments of weaknesses.

"But I'm not sure you know exactly why my client is here today, Mr. Townsend," he began walking towards Bryce. "We are here because you have altered the course of Ms. Pawloska's life forever. I cannot stress that enough. No matter what you say in the next few moments, nothing will ever change that."

"Objection!" Bryce's lawyer called out. "He's using ethos to --"

"Sustained," the judge said, stopping the outburst. "Carry on."

"Thank you, your Honor," he continued. "In your own words, what happened that night?"

Bryce shifted in his seat, obviously extremely uncomfortable with being questioned. "After the musical, we all went up into the old dance studio. We had some drinks. I danced with Alaina. And then we both decided to hook up." He said everything quickly, desperately trying to make the time go by faster. His voice was even, almost too even, as if he had said those exact words hundreds of times before.

"You said, 'we both decided to hook up,'" her lawyer repeated. "And how did you know, Mr. Townsend, that Alaina wanted to 'hook up' with you?"

"She kissed me first," he said shakily. Alaina could see his eyes beginning to well up with tears, and she narrowed her eyes. What did he think he was going?

"See, Bryce, can I call you Bryce? I don't think she did. Bailiff, can you Please pull up exhibit B 7? Can you explain these bruises?"

An image of Alaina flashed up on the old television. Her normally tanned skin looked so pale, and her bare legs, torso, and arms were covered with hand-shaped bruises. The hospital gown that was barely covering any part of her body was dirty and tearstained.

Bryce burst into tears, shocking Alaina. "I -- I didn't know, okay? She didn't tell me to stop, or maybe she did, but she seemed to enjoy what was happening," he was sobbing at this point, his cries echoing through the chamber. "If I would have known that, that she didn't want anything to happen, I would have stopped immediately. I never wanted to hurt her! I'm not a bad person, I just made a small mistake. Please -- please don't ruin my life over something I didn't even know I was doing. Please, your Honor, can I step down?"