Chapter 34 ~ "This is what happens when you do good deeds."

Chapter 34: "This is what happens when you do good deeds."

I rubbed my arms, my gaze downcast. The performances were all over, we'd bowed the bows, I'd received flowers and taken pictures with people.

"Three months," Luke said absentmindedly.

"Three months," I said. That had become our mantra over the past few days.

"Call everyday," he said.

"Skype every other day."

"Text whenever you want."

"We can do it." I smiled and held out my hand for a high five. Luke beamed at the car's windshield and reached out to entwine our fingers together.

"I'll bet you twenty bucks we can do it."

I rolled my eyes. "What the hell?"

"What?" he said innocently. "Come on, shake on it?"

I gaped at his outstretched hand. "I am not betting against our ability to keep a relationship," I said.

He laughed, and pushed my head gently. "I'm just fucking with you, beautiful."

"You better be, you little turd," I said, crossing my arms.

"Your little turd," he corrected. I couldn't help myself and smiled at him, even though his focus was on the road.

When we reached the airport, Luke parked the car and ran over to my side to open the door. He grabbed my waist and lifted me out. I wrapped my arms around his neck and dropped a kiss on his cheek before he let me down.

He helped me roll my two large suitcases to check-in, and once I was checked in, I didn't know what to do.

I hitched my bag higher on my shoulder and looked at the ground. "Well, I guess this is it," I said, blinking rapidly.

Luke stepped closer to me and wrapped me in one of his constricting hugs. I returned his hug twice as hard as usual, and felt the air in my chest squeeze. "This is not it. Only three months, remember," he said into my neck.

I blinked again and bit my lip. "I don't want to go, Luke," I whispered. My hands shook around him, quickly followed by the rest of my body.

"Hey, hey, hey," he said, pulling back to grab my shoulders. He pushed my chin up so I was looking at him, and gave me one of his classic loving smiles. You know, the kind that lighted up the room and crept its way from my stomach up to my heart and caught in my throat. It stretched wide and crinkled up his beautiful hazel eyes, and it had me crying in two seconds flat.

I really didn't want to be selfish, but I was going to miss him so much. Of course, I'd miss Randy and Leo and the rest of the Tarrones too. The way I felt about them was different, though. I'd be glad to see Seth and Theo again, but...oh, God.

My eyes clouded up and I bit my lip hard to keep the tears from spilling over. God, this wasn't fair to Luke for me to act as if I was the only one affected.

Stop it, Danny, I told myself. Stop.

"I'm sorry," I forced out. "Luke, I'm sorry."

Luke took my face in his hands and bent down to kiss me. I let him kiss me, and I kissed him back. It felt too much like a goodbye kiss though, which just made me cry harder. "I love you, beautiful," he breathed when we broke apart.

"I love you, too," I sobbed.

"And nothing's going to come between us, right? Not even the distance."