Chapter 12; Dream-Suki

I blink away the dreariness of sleep as my senses come back to me like dogs returning to their master.

You don't realise their loyalty until they arrive at you feet, panting with their tongues lolling out with their pants.

I didn't realise that I was lying down on a hill, the green blades of grass tickling the parts of my skin that were exposed.

I stare at the cloudless, endless blue sky blankly, waiting for my thoughts to organise themselves as they reboot like an old windows computer, jumping and vaulting over themselves in a desperate race.

After what could only be described short eternity passed, I decide to sit up, looking around at my surroundings.

A plethora of flowers of all sorts lined the acres of healthy green grass sporadically, the bright sun casting it's inescapable aura everywhere apart from one area.

A dead, wilted tree stands alone, isolated, it's branches grey and gnarled. Leaves lay dead around it, dirty brown and mixing horribly with the fallen arms of the tree. The soft pitter patter of rain is heard all the way from my position, about fifty metres away despite the cloudless canvas.

Never mind, the sky isn't cloudless.

A single, lone, grey storm cloud hovers unpleasantly over the tree, contrasting the peaceful, happy atmosphere of everything else.

A single figure sits, their back leaning against the trunk, eyes downcast and hood covering the rest of their face. The person's legs are pulled in, hugging the knees to their chest tightly, their breaths shown by the rise and fall of the entire body.

It's only when I finally try to stand up to help this person that I realise I'm wearing a suit, set with a black tie tied perfectly, a white button shirt, dark, caramel trousers and a (F/C) blazer to top it all off.

So we can tie a tie, but we can't shirt a shirt?

I suddenly feel a weight on my head, and pat it, only to find a slick black fedora on it, my interference making it rest at a hazardous angle, tilted diagonally downwards over one eye.

I look down, feeling a hard object digging painfully into my leg, finding a revolver sitting in a holster on my thigh.

".38 Smith And Wesson Revolver, I shortened the barrel ever so slightly to get the perfect look."

I look back up to see where the voice came from, and realise it came from the person sitting at the tree.

I begin walking towards him, but within a step I'm already at the edge of the rain cloud.

"The hell is going on here?"

Genos looks up.

"A dream."

"Lucid dreamer?"

"Yeah, watch this."

He snaps his fingers and a grey scarf, sunglasses and a fuzzy haired wig appears in my hands.

"Skullduggery Pleasant?" I question as I put the wig, sunglasses and scarf on.

"Yep. Next time you go on a date with Yuri can you get the twelfth book for me? It's called Midnight."

"I gotcha." I reply, my voice muffled by the scarf. "You're missing the gloves, by the way."

Another snap.

"Mind telling me why you're in the rain?"

"Mind telling me why you're in the sun?"

"Because it's warm and it's better than being cold."