Chapter Six. Connor.

When my alarm went off early Thursday morning, I had half a mind to shut it off and roll over to go back to sleep. I'd slept like shit all night, tossing and turning. My nerves about going home had gotten the best of me and I was going to be paying for it today.

I laid there for a few minutes longer than I should have before I got up and hopped in the shower to get ready for the what laid ahead.

I had roughly 45 minutes before I needed to be in my Jeep on the way to the airport, so when I stepped out of the shower and threw on a pair of jeans and a long sleeve shirt, I poured myself a bowl of rice krispies and scrolled through Twitter to see what had happened in the world while I slept.

News of Blake's trade had hit media and everyone was going to town on why he had gotten the boot from the Storm. 

Not wanting to hear the negativity toward my best friend, I closed out of the app. I still hadn't heard back from him, and if I was going to be home, I'd drive over to his place and ask him in person. But I wasn't, so I settled for another text. 

I finished my breakfast before I gathered my bag and headed for the door.

I pushed my bag into the hallway and heard an "oomph" as I locked the door behind me.

Before I could turn to see what happened, a familiar and haunting voice said, "You know, we really should stop meeting like this. One day, one of us is going to get hurt."

I looked up to see Lennox with her arms crossed over her chest, her short pajamas leaving little to the imagination. I gulped, trying to keep the dirty thoughts out of my mind.

"Maybe you should be more careful," I teased her.

"That's the pot calling the kettle black," she laughed and I couldn't help but stare at her breasts as they rose and fell with each burst of laughter. I shrugged with a smile on my face. "So, are you running away?" she asked, pointing at my suitcase.

"Just going home for a bit to visit my family," I told her.

She raised her eyebrows. "This close to the start of the season? Haven't you had, like, almost 4 months to do that?"

It was my turn to raise my eyebrows. "You know something about hockey, do ya?" I asked, avoiding her question. I couldn't tell her why I had such a hard time going home, and why I was waiting until the last possible moment to do it.

She shrugged playfully. "I know something about it, yeah."

Her smile was intoxicating, I wanted to burn the image of it into my mind so that I could look back on it when I needed a pick-me-up.

Just then, she looked down at something electronic in her hand that I hadn't noticed until now and said, "I've gotta go. Safe travels." 

She waved as she made her way to her door, her perfect ass in those tiny shorts making my mouth water as she walked away from me.

"Thanks," I said. "Keep an eye on my apartment, eh?" I asked with a smile.

"You got it," she said with a thumbs up and a small wave before she disappeared behind her door.

I stood there a moment after she disappeared, thinking about how much trouble I was in and I didn't even know this girl well. But damn, I sure wanted to get to know her better.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Because it was a Thursday morning, the work traffic was in full swing, making my drive to the airport longer.

I watched the time, nervous I was going to be pushing it close. 

I shook my head. Damn. I've only run into Lennox a few times but she's caused me to be late twice now.