Chapter Seven. Lennox.

After my run-in with Connor, and giving Saylor a bottle of milk to calm her down, sleep was out of the question, but that was okay. I had too much to do today, anyway.

While Saylor napped, I spent some time getting ready since I had some errands I had to run.

I texted Caila to see if she wanted to come along and when she said she would love to, but needed time to get ready, I decided that I'd curl my hair into loose rings.

I slid on a knit black and white striped short dress on with an army green button up, the sleeves rolled up to the sleeves over the dress. I paired that with my white Keds and moved on to getting my daughter ready.

She protested when I changed her diaper (she hated the cold draft) before I put her in a a flowery body suit with a pair of jean shorts, which seemed to calm her down. 

One thing about Saylor, she was nothing like me in regards to wearing clothes; I hated wearing them. I was happy to sit around in my bra and a pair of shorts. No need for all the constricting material. Saylor hated being naked.

"Knock knock," my sister called out, entering the apartment.

"In here," I called back from Saylor's room.

"Ooo, you look cute," Caila said.

"Psh," I said, turning to take in her appearance.

It was clear who the girlie-girl was between the two of us, and it wasn't me. This girl had on a pair of tight skinny capris, a sparkly sequined shirt, and high heels. Hell to the no thanks.

"Don't hate me because I'm fabulous," Caila teased. I let out a laugh.

"You're impossible," I told her with a smile before putting Saylor in her pink sandals.

"So, what are we doing today?"

"Going to check out daycares for Saylor and shopping for work clothes."

Caila clapped her hands together. "Yay! Shopping!"

"Have you heard back about your interview?"

She sighed. "Not yet. I'm hoping to today." I hated that for her. She'd been told she should hear something possibly that same day and here we were, several days later, still nothing. I knew she was losing hope that she'd get the job, so I tried to have enough for both of us.

"I'm sure you'll get it," I assured her. 

Caila was fabulous. Outgoing. Hard working. There was no way she didn't completely kill it.

"We'll see," she said. "Let's go!" she added, dropping the subject.

As we passed Connor's door, I couldn't help but think about him and if he had made it home. I didn't know where his family lived, so it was entirely possible he wasn't there yet, but I hoped he made it wherever he was going safely.

"Hello? Lennox?" Caila's voice pulled me back to the present.

"What are you doing?" she asked, exasperated.

I realized then that I had completely stopped walking down the hallway. 

"Oh, uh, nothing. Let's go." Caila eyed me skeptically, but we continued on.

>>>>>>>>>>>

The first daycare we checked out was a complete bust. It wasn't the cleanest, or the friendliest. It was also way out of my price range. The second wasn't much better, even though it was affordable. I didn't want my daughter in a place like that, though. The third was really nice, but the waitlist for toddlers was a mile long and I didn't have time to wait.