Chapter Twelve. Connor.

From the moment I got back from Toronto and found Lennox's daughter Saylor climbing all over my duffle in the hallway, I knew I had to get Lennox to go out with me. 

While I had never been one that was drawn to little kids, seeing Saylor and how much she looked like Lennox, made me want to have all the little babies in the world. And that thought should have freaked me out, but for whatever reason, it didn't.

The little girl was adorable. She was tiny, yes, but she had the same thick dark hair and complexion as her mother. Her eyes were big, brown. She was a spitting image of her mother.

Since that day, though, I hadn't run into them again, much to my displeasure.

I'd been putting in a lot of hours on the ice to make up for my lack of workout routine while I was back in Canada. Keith had met me this morning and beat my ass to a bloody pulp out there.

When we were finished, I wasn't sure I would make it to the cookout today because I wasn't sure I'd be able to move, or breathe, ever again.

"Damn, Keith, do you have some vengeance against me or something?" I'd asked.

He chuckled. "Nah, man, you just let yourself go."

"Don't bullshit me, man. That wasn't a normal workout."

"For you," he said.

I rolled my eyes as I dragged my body to the locker room to shower and change.

"You going to Andy's house later?" I asked Keith as we were packing our stuff up to leave.

"'Course," he said. "You?"

"If I can manage to get there," I joked.

"You're a pussy," he muttered. We both laughed.

"Yeah, I'll be there."

"Bringing anyone?" he asked.

"No," I started. "Why would I?"

"Because you've been obsessing over someone," he said. 

Damn, when did he become so observant?

I rolled my eyes. "Now you're sounding crazy. You got a hot date?"

His face lit up. "Hell no. Hoping to find someone there to take home, though," he said.

"Like who? This is just for the Storm organization," I reminded him.

"And their families," he said. "There are plenty of good looking people who work in the offices, don't forget."

"Like Clara?" I teased.

"Hell yeah. Maybe she'll be up for a good time," he said, waggling his eyebrows.

"You're a horndog," I told him.

"Takes one to know one."

I wanted to tell him I didn't think that was the life for me anymore, but I couldn't bring myself to do it, not yet. 

We got out to the lot, which was practically empty, and parted ways at our cars.

Deciding I was going to see if she wanted to go to this party with me, I found a renewed sense of energy as I drove toward my apartment.

I noticed that her car was in her assigned spot and I couldn't stop the smile from spreading across my face even if I'd tried. 

Man, maybe Keith was right; I was turning into a pussy.

I walked past my door and knocked on the door across the hall.

After several seconds without an answer, I tried again. Still nothing.