Chapter 3: First Day of Senior Year

S O P H I E W I L K I N S

"Wake up, wake up. Time to go to school!" Bree shouts at me, jumping on my bed. The morning sun blinds me as it shines through my bedroom curtains.

I grab one of my pillows and chuck it at her, missing as it flies over the edge of the bed. I sit up, slipping on my wired frame glasses and grab my phone to check the time.

7:30 AM, Time for another year of hell.

Luckily, I only live five minutes away from Oakleaf High, so I'm able to sleep in for a little while.

Suddenly, memories from Saturday night's party rush through my head. For one thing, I had to tell Bree everything that happened after she left me. And for another, this girl is in so much trouble for leaving me with that asshole.

"Bree, you have a lot of explaining to do! I saw you leave the party with some random guy. Why did you just leave me there without telling me anything? I almost got kidnapped by Andrew Dalton!"

"Sorry, Mom," she mocks. "But first of all, his name is Bryan and second, we just sort of hit it off and I kind of forgot about you," Bree said with a "please forgive me" smile. "I promise it won't ever happen again."

"So what happened after between the two of you?"

"Nothing, just a one-night, summer fling. But enough about me, please rewind back to the part where you said YOU ALMOST GOT KIDNAPPED BY ANDREW DALTON!" She squeals, jumping around my room.

I quickly tell her everything she missed after leaving with Bryan, the boy she danced with.

"Wow, the one time something interesting happens in your life, I'm not there to witness it," Bree teases. I jokingly push her shoulder and laugh. "Wait, so he didn't even remember or recognize you?"

I shake my head.

"Well, you have changed your look a lot over the summer, Soph." Bree did have a point.

When we were juniors, I used to wear my hair in a ponytail with black glasses, a plain t-shirt and a pair of jeans almost every day to school.

But recently, I've dyed my hair pink at the top, took down my ponytail, began to wear more clothes from brand name stores like Hollister and Forever 21, and got contacts.

I amble to the bathroom and put in my contacts. I look over at the clock and see the time, instantly making my heart accelerate. 7:45 AM. Holy crap, I'm gonna be late! My first class was all the way in the back of the school.

I quickly brush my teeth and put on some foundation and mascara with a light tint of champagne-colored eyeshadow. Bree throws me some clothes and I quickly slip it on, wearing a white lace crop top with some skinny jeans and my Adidas shoes.

We sprint downstairs and I grab a banana from the counter.

"Bye, Mom. Love you!" I shout.

"Bye, sweetie. Love you too! I'll be home at around 10 tonight," she replies.

We rush to Bree's car and she speeds away even though Oakleaf isn't that far.

***********

"Sophie!" I hear someone call out. I turn my head and glance around, looking for the person that called out my name.

That's when I saw him.

My eyes land on a boy with brown hair and those mysterious dark brown eyes. He jogs towards me in his red varsity football jacket and stops a foot away from me, nearly tackling me to the ground.