Chapter 5: "Frozen like a deer caught in the headlights."

S O P H I E   W I L K I N S

I compare my schedule with Andrew's and couldn't believe what I'm seeing.

"What the hell? How is this possible?" I said, still not comprehending what was before my eyes. I scan back and forth again between the two papers to make sure I'm not imagining things. "Our schedules are exactly the same...for the entire year."

"Really?" Andrew responds, shrugging his shoulders. "That's strange..."

A N D R E W D A L T O N

It's not a coincidence that our schedules match, I changed it. I went into the school office before school started and requested to switch my classes.

"Hello, Mr. Dalton, what brings you here?" A lady in her mid-forties with glasses questioned.

"I came in to change my schedule. I was hoping to have this one particular student in my classes. She helps me focus and understand the material better."

She narrows her eyes a little, a bit skeptical, before giving in. "What's her name?"

"Sophie Wilkins."

The lady types away on her keyboard and a paper rolls smoothly out from the printer. I guess having parents that are major donors to the school has its perks.

She hands me the warm paper and I walk out of the office with my new schedule.

"So, what scene are we doing again?" I ask.

"Act 2, Scene 2."

We flip our script to the scene and my eyes light up. Perfect.

I turn towards her and at amused by her expression, the colors draining from her face.

S O P H I E   W I L K I N S

I flip my script to the scene Andrew and I have to perform. I quickly scan the page and my face turns pale. We have to do the balcony scene? Where they kiss?!

"What's wrong, Shortcake?" I could hear the smirk on his face.

"Nothing. Let's just start practicing." A hint of pink grows more prominent on my cheeks. I pray that he drops the subject, which thankfully he does.

***********

Surprisingly, we're able to run through most of the script without any of Andrew's comical remarks. Then, the section of the scene I dread the most approached.

"Good night, good night! Parting is such sweet sorrow that I shall say good night till it be morrow." I read the horrendous words in my head that came after my lines inside the brackets. Romeo and Juliet kiss, Juliet exits.

I glance up at Andrew and see a smirk forming on his lips. He takes a step closer as I step back.

Before I know it, my back is pressed against the wall. Andrew moves closer, our faces only a couple of centimeters apart. He raises his arms and places each hand on either side of my head.

I stood frozen like a deer caught in the headlights as a tingling feeling rose in my stomach. Butterflies? Why the hell am I getting butterflies for him?!

He leans down, looking down at my lips then back up to my eyes, and smashes his lips against mine. I want to push him away, but I don't. I slowly start to kiss him back and he deepens the kiss, placing his right hand on the area between my cheek and neck.

His touch sends sparks throughout my entire body and I feel myself melting in front of him. Why do I feel this way? He's an arrogant asshole, Sophie, I remind myself. Then, we pull away, gasping for air.

"Damn, Shortcake. You're a good kisser," he states with amusement. The hint of pink returns to my face and I look down to the ground. I can't believe I just had my first kiss with Andrew Dalton.

He pushes my chin up with his finger to make our eyes meet once again. He opens his mouth to say something but is cut off when his door suddenly opens and we both jump.

Andrew creates some distance between us as his mom enters. "It's starting to get late. Sophie, honey, would you like to stay for dinner?"

"Um...sure." I smile politely.

"Great, dinner will be ready in ten minutes," a smile on her lips. She closes the door and continues cooking downstairs, oblivious to what happened moments ago. I quickly escape from his frame and pack up my belongings.

We head downstairs and a delicious aroma wafts into my nose. Whatever Mrs. Dalton is cooking, it smells amazing.

I enter the dining room and three plates with utensils are placed beside it on the table. Andrew and I take our seats as his mom sets the food on the table and sits across from us.

In the middle of the meal, I jump as a wave of electricity shoots throughout my body. I feel Andrew's hand fall on my knee before his hand slowly made its way closer to my body.

I smack his hand away and he quietly chuckles. I speak up and turn towards Andrew, wanting to break the awkward silence, "I don't mean to sound rude, but what do your parents do for a living?"

"My mom stays at home, and my dad is the CEO of Oakmart," his tone suddenly turning abrasive. I nearly choke on the orange juice I was drinking. His dad OWNS Oakmart?!

Oakmart is the biggest grocery store franchise in California. No wonder Andrew is so rich, one tiny bar of soap cost $15 at Oakmart, but yet people still buy it often. I spend less money than that on only one of my meals per day.

"Your dad owns Oakmart?!" I gasp in astonishment.

"Yeah, he's never really around. That's why he's not sitting here with us right now," his tone harsh as his hand slowly closes up into a fist.

"What about your parents? What do they do?" Mrs. Dalton asks, quickly changing the subject.

"Well, my mom is a nurse in the ICU unit of Grandview Hospital and my dad...well I don't know what my dad does or where he is for that matter. He left me and my mom before I was even born," I said, my voice trailing off near the end as a small pit forms in my stomach.

I feel Andrew's hand land on top of mine and he rests it on my knee. I glance up at him and he shoots me a small, genuine smile, and I reciprocate the gesture.

_______________________________

Helloo! I don't know if you could tell, but this chapter was a little shorter than the previous ones. I didn't really know where this chapter was heading, but then again I don't really ever know where my chapters go. I just kind of make it up as I go.

I'm sorry if the story is STILL moving slowly, but trust me there's plenty of drama to come. So buckle up because it's gonna be one big crazy drama rollercoaster!

VOTE, comment, 🤷🏻‍♀️. Happy reading! See ya in the next chapter! ~Karlee 💛