Chapter 31: The Boy Who Made Me Believe

S O P H I E   W I L K I N S

After finishing our meal and resting for a little as we listen to the host's comedy act, the lights dim and colorful lights turn on, glowing as it bounces across the walls.

The dance floor lights up, beaming all of the colors of the rainbow. A beat slowly takes over the speakers and everyone gets up, heading towards the center of the room.

Luckily, even though I know Andrew is here, which always makes my belly churn at the thought of it, I haven't bumped into him when I stood up numerous times to get more water or for seconds.

People bounce up and down as they stroll towards the spacious dance floor. Soon, a whole crowd forms and practically the room full of teens is clumped together. Bree and Bryan break off for a bit as he joins his friends.

"Come on, let's dance!" Bree shouts energetically over the blaring music. She takes a hold of my wrist and I quickly place my napkin on the table as she drags me to the center.

Many people are swaying their hips to the music with their hands in the air. Pressing their bodies up against one another, the dancing teens grind on each other and some girls are even giving their dates lap dances. I give them a look of disgust, but they're too busy to catch my disapproval.

Bree waves her hands in the air and lets the music move her body with a giant grin on her face. I awkwardly bounce to the music as many elbows and bodies jab into me, occasionally stepping on my toes.

Bree turns to me and rolls her eyes. She takes a hold of my wrists and raises them in the air, forcing them to sway back and forth.

"Come on, Sophie. Let loose and have some fun!" Bree drags out the last syllable and moves my arms to raise the roof. I chuckle and slowly sway my hips with the music with Bree eventually letting go of her hold.

Soon, the music intensifies and I can feel the beat of the song vibrate throughout my whole body. I start to sway my hips and arms with more rhythm and bliss invades my brain.

For the first in a while, my head was clear and only focused on one thing: having fun. The thought of Andrew and our whole ordeal slipped to the back of my mind as Bree and I sang along to the Drake song the DJ was currently playing.

An awful scent of perspiration and a mixture of everyone's musk or perfume entered my senses, but I didn't care. I was too busy having the time of my life.

Then, the flashing lights switched to glowing dots that spun around the room, and the music was toned down.

The host hopped onto the stage, "Alright if you came with a date, grab him or her and bring em to the dance floor. We'll be playing a couple of slow songs," he announces, ending his sentence in a deep, smooth pitch.

I walk back to our table, which gives me a front row seat to the dance floor, as Bree and Bryan meet up with each other, intertwining their fingers as they pick a spot on the floor.

They let go and Bryan places his hands on her hips and pulls her closer. Bree loops her arms around his neck and they lock eyes, gazes filled with awe for each other.

As they sway gently, the music starts up and I admire their cute relationship.

I sigh as my head comes to rest in the palm of my hand, and I continue to scan the room, watching other couples hold each other closely.