Chapter Forty

The feeling of emptiness has become my new best friend. I remember the sense of sadness and grief coming at me like a wave. It suddenly crashed into me without warning. I felt nothing, and I hated that. I wanted to feel the pain that my aunt felt, the pain that my mother and father felt when they too died. I didn't want to be the one who's left without a scratch. I didn't deserve that luxury. 

I don't remember the warriors coming, bringing them a doctor with them. I only remember the doctor looking at me and shaking his head. It wasn't a shock. I knew she was dead. I remember, Edan and Vanessa looking at me, tears in their eyes. They didn't hug me, and they didn't say anything. It was the greatest thing they could have done. 

Eric was the one who finally came up to me and shields me away from the sight of my dead aunt. And when my knees finally caved, he was that one that came down with me. But there were no tears. Not a single one. I trained myself too well to cry in public. But somehow, Eric knew. He knew that I wouldn't shed a tear. 

So he picked me up and took me to the pack house. He didn't complain once. We didn't talk. He kept my head tucked into him. The walk was in complete silence. Even the trees were morning my lost. And I knew why Victor did it. He left me an orphan thinking that I would move to a foster home. But thankfully, I was a legal adult today. No social worker would come to pick me up and drop me off to a new house as a garbage truck does to trash. This time, I was stuck where I am.

This is the one plan where he failed. It gave me little comfort, but still, it would help me sleep at night. And he also made the wolfs mad. He killed one of their beta's family member. And Victor has threatened their luna multiple times. Now, they would be even more protective of the pack. If you taunt a snake long enough, it will strike back. He's mocked them long enough, and they're preparing to strike. Victor is about to get a run for his money. It doesn't matter if he does have wolfs on his side as well, the warriors here outmatched them in numbers and skills fifteen to one. And he also doesn't have the vampires as we do. But still, doubt is hard to get rid of, in the back of my mind, I fear that it isn't enough.

In my mind, I can think of everything that might go wrong, knowing my life, things will go wrong. And so, I fear that the wolves shear tenacity wouldn't win a war. 

Eric again somehow knew what I was thinking. He started to rub my mindlessly back. He still didn't talk; he just continued to walk. It took me a while to realize that we walked past the pack house a long time ago. But I foolishly trusted him. And thankfully, my trust in him paid off.

He stopped in front of a big house. I couldn't even find the words to describe it. It was just breathtaking.

"Welcome to my humble home," Eric finally said

"This is humble," I retorted.

"Hey, my sister lives here too, and heaven knows how many times she brings her friends over," he answered back.

He set me down, and lead me inside. I didn't get a good enough view before Eric once again picked me up and carried me.

"Why did you set me down if you were going to pick me back up again."

"My wolf growled at me when I set you down, and I was not going to have him give me a migraine."

"My poor alpha baby," I mumbled knowing full well that he would hear me.

"Don't make me pinch you."

"Don't make me freeze you."

"You stop. Eventually, I wouldn't because my way doesn't involve frostbite," he teased.

"I still have many more powers than that."

"Yes, I'm aware. And my warriors are especially found of your ability to put their worst fears in their mind," it was all glazed in sarcasm.

"I hate using that power."

"I know, Vanessa is a little convincing. But she is right. You'll have to  face Victor eventually."

"And I'm not ignoring that. I'm aware that I will have to fight Victor sooner than later. I don't think that I could kill him."

"Well this is why I brought you here," he said with a skip to him. "I also live with the wisest person in the werewolf community. He'll know what to do. And if he doesn't, then his books will."

I am so sorry I haven't written. I've have been stressed and unstable. The movers are actually moving my stuff. I will try to update more but life is unpredictable.