11

"Sometimes you have a prince but he's not the right prince."

Carter's POV

Fuck! What the hell is wrong with me? The girl I saw was Athena. For Christ's sake! How come I did not recognize her? I should have my eyes checked-- I probably needed glasses now!

My brain was running in circles, scolding myself how I could be so stupid. My neurons were not transmitting information well to the other cells, made me think that I should have my brain checked as well.

How could I be attracted to Athena at first glance? That was so insane! I even misinterpreted it as love at first sight.

No... no. This is not happening. I would never fall in love with this lunatic woman standing in front of me, with eyes blazing like fire and thick smoke coming out of her ears same as a car's exhaust pipe. 

She demanded an explanation, and I could not give it. My mind was in turmoil, terrorized by this unexpected situation. I felt like I was back in grade seven again standing in front of the class, trembling with anxiety when I could not spell Chrysanthemum.

Damn her!

I was delusional this morning. Maybe because I just finished having a video call with my parents, I greeted them on their wedding anniversary. They were in Germany honeymooning again, looking so happy and in love. After the call, I fancied thinking that I could find my true love too. 

Then, there was this girl at the pool-- and turned out to be Athena!

I was disillusioned. Love at first sight is a lie. 

My brain started to process as I kept on staring at her. But it just transported me back to what happened sixteen years ago. The first time I saw Athena.

"Look at her mom, the one in pink. She's like a real angel." I whispered to my mom as we watched the ballet summer class recital of my cousin Emerald. We accompanied aunt Jade and Zion to the play since uncle Eros and dad were in a business trip. 

"Yeah she is. That's Emerald's best friend, Athena." Mom whispered back. 

Athena. Her name slipped smoothly on my tongue like Crème brûlée. I liked her name, it suited her. 

She was not the star of the play but she stood out more than the girls wearing glittery ballerina costumes. All dancers on the stage vanished in my eyes as I focused at Athena only. She danced very well, fluid and graceful like a bird.

"Where are all the paper napkins?" Aunt Jade asked Zion who was munching popcorn greedily.

"I gave it to aunt Chloe." Zion answered.

"You did? I don't have it." Mom checked on her lap and mine. "Have you seen it Carter?"

I was silent, embarrassed to tell them that I made all the paper napkins we got from the food chain outside into paper roses, and was inside the paper bag of the hamburger I ate earlier. I learned making paper roses from the summer art and crafts activities I had recently.

"Never mind, I have baby wipes here in my bag." Aunt Jade said to mom.

She was more beautiful up close. She was with Emerald when we went backstage. 

Nobody bothered to introduce us, so I gathered all my courage and said 'hi' to her. But she just glanced at me then ignored me. 

I still did not give up, I was determined to give her the paper roses I made. I complimented her by saying 'you dance very well' but she just shrugged her shoulders and turned away from me. 

I was dishearted that I threw the paper bag of paper roses. My effort was useless, she would not talk to me. 

The next time I saw her was a week later at Emerald's birthday party. It pissed me off that she still ignored me, treating me like I did not exist. 

I saw a dragonfly in the garden and put it on her dress. She got so mad and screamed at me. I laughed at her and she chased me. That moment, I was glad. I finally got her to notice me. 

"So?" Athena rose her beautifully carved eyebrows. 

"You're right, this is about the museum." I said, a bit distracted when she leaned closer on the table. "I... I want to discuss some important matters about it, but for Christ's sake, not to charm you. Stop overthinking, woman."

Suddenly her eyes widened, like a flashing red traffic light. "Don't you ever call me woman, I have a name."

Ahh- the name-calling game again. I enjoy this game, and it will divert her attention. 

"Okay, baby."

"Jerk! Just try to call me baby again and I'll..."

"You'll what, baby?"

Her expression was stormed with anger. 

"Fuck you, Carter. I really hate you! I'm wasting my time coming here. I know you're just bored and wanted someone to entertain you. You saw me and wanted to victimize me again." She stood up and clasped her handbag. "Well, it's nothing new, you enjoy torturing me, cousin of Hitler!"

"You're melodramatic. Sit down Athena."

"I won't!"

"You're acting like a spoiled brat." I twisted my lips nastily. This woman is impossible. 

"Spoiled brat? And you're acting like a certified asshole!"

"Thank you." I answered sarcastically. "Come on baby, sit down."

Her eyes grew bigger again and bursted. "I said..."

"I heard you, come on, sit down. I'm hungry and I'm sure you're hungry too."

"I won't until you tell me what's going on here. Don't fool me Carter. This room has all the romantic ambience of a love hotel in Paris, I know that you are up to something."

"I'M. NOT." I said firmly.

"You are!" She insisted. "Stop denying it. You gave me the most expensive cocktail drink and a bouquet of rainbow flowers. Why would you ever do that!"

I was trapped. She would not stop until I'd give her a very good reason. The problem was, I could not find a good reason at that moment, my mind was blank. 

One thing for sure, I had to defend myself. 

"It was only a friendly gesture."

Athena's expression went sour. "A friendly gesture? Since when did we became friendly?"

Since you landed on top of me, cracked my backbones and hold my dick! I wanted to snap at her but refrained from getting a thunderous reaction from her. 

"It 's not to late to start now."

"HA! That's the funniest joke I've ever heard. I doubt if we can ever be friends."

"Why not?"

"You have a devious mind. All you ever want is to humiliate me, making me hate you more and more every time I see you."

I shook my head and denied. "I did not."

"You did! I don't even know why you keep on doing that. Sometimes I wonder, what did I do to make you hate me so much?"

I pretended not to hear and scanned the menu. "We should order now. We can talk more reasonably when we have food in our stomach. What do you want? They have fresh lobsters, caviar, manchego cheese, pavlova..."

Not trying to be obvious, I sighed with relief when she sat down again on her seat.

**Don't forget to vote, comment and share to your friends**