Words and Actions.

I didn't know what to expect. She was taking longer than usual to open the door and it didn't feel right to just walk in. I pulled out my phone and saw an unread text.

Just come in I'm going to hop in the shower.

I opened the front door and made my way to the living room. There were pictures set up along the walls and on shelves. When I was around Audrey I never took the time to look at them. There were family portraits and photos from vacations all over the world. Audrey looked young in some of photos. She was a cute kid. Her family looked happy.

"Italy is my favorite. Italian food, wine and culture. It amazes me." Audrey said from behind me causing me to jump a little.

"Jesus, you snuck up on me." I said as I faced her. Audrey's hair was up and still damp from her shower. Her makeup was washed off and her beautiful blue eyes were red as if she had been crying. "What's wrong?" I asked as I stepped closer to her.

"Nothing." She dodged my question and held out her hand. "I have the food staying warm in the oven let's go eat."

Any hunger that I once had was gone. Audrey had been crying and I wanted to know why. I pulled her hand gently so she was closer to me. Her eyes avoided mine.

"Audrey what's wrong. Talk to me. The food could wait." I pleaded.

Audrey wrapped her arms around me slowly. So slowly it seemed as if she was afraid that she'd break me.

"It's my mom's birthday." Her voice cracked and I could barely hear her.

I felt like a piece of shit at that moment. Here I was, worried she didn't want me the way I wanted her and she was home alone and depressed. I felt incredibly selfish. I did my best to push the despair I had about my thoughts aside. She needed me.

"Why didn't you call me? I would have came over sooner." I pulled away from her slightly so I could see her eyes.

Audrey wiped a small tear away from her puffy cheeks. "I didn't want to bother you with all of this."

'Bother me?' I thought to myself. It bothered me more that she didn't tell me sooner. I would have skipped my morning with Tina. I would have been here for her.

"Audrey you never bother me. I want to be here for you. Do you want to talk about it?" I offered.

"No, I just don't want to be alone tonight. Emma I'm sorry. I know that you probably want to go out on a real date and I promise we will I just can't tonight. It doesn't seem right to go out with my girlfriend on my mother's first birthday in heaven."

There were no words. Instead I pulled her close. I wrapped my arms around her. She had called me her girlfriend. I wanted to kiss her and tell her how happy she made me but instead I just held her. I held her close hoping I could help mend her fragile broken heart.

"There's nothing I could say to make this better Audrey. If there's anything I could do please just tell me." I squeezed her gently and kissed her forehead. I could feel her crying against me and it broke my heart.

"Stay with me tonight? Please Emma?." She had begged me. "Just having you around helps. You don't have to say anything."

"Only if we could cuddle." I joked with her hoping to brighten her mood. She smiled and nodded her head. "So, I was promised dinner." I continued to joke with her as we walked to the kitchen.

Audrey was feeling better. Her smile had returned and her eyes were clearing up. After we ate we cleaned up for a bit and made our way back to the living room.

"You called me your girlfriend." I noted nonchalantly as I sat on the couch. Audrey smiled at me and took a seat next to me. She snaked her arm around me and pulled me close to her.