THE ACCIDENT (13)

That dusk, around six, Alexander had driven Olivia back home without anyone taking note of her lack of presence. She was relieved but as she watched his car silently hum out of her driveway she couldn't very well stop the twinge of pain in her heart and as she clutched the skin above the constant rhythm she wondered if it'd be like this even if it was another man? 

Eventually, she came to the conclusion that it'd never be like this with any other man, it couldn't be! Alexander was something else.

She smiled as she sipped on her steaming mug of tea. It had been a little over three months with Alexander now and she couldn't believe how utterly in love with him she was but she also knew she wouldn't have it any other way. 

She was snapped out of her reverie when suddenly a 'ding' from her phone notified her of a message she received. Hurriedly, she clambered to her phone, hoping it was Xander but was only a tinge disappointed when she realized the message was from her best friend, Fawn, messaging her about a meet-up amongst her friend group at the new coffee shop down her street. She was rather tired but was also fairly certain she wouldn't be able to fall asleep again plus it had been so long since she'd seen Fawn and she needed to explain everything to her so she replied affirming her presence. In fact, she'd decided it was best if she just head to Fawn's place and they could both leave from there.

With both girls deciding that was an acceptable plan, Olivia changed into a hoodie, and skinny jeans and pulled on her beat-up converse. She strolled downstairs to find her parents in the living room, her father watching TV in his Sunday casual and her mother scurrying about in the kitchen. "Where you heading out to?" her mother questioned upon noticing her.

"Fawn's place mum, we're going to the new coffee shop down the road," she answered.

"Hmm alright, be back before nine," 

"I will be, bye mum, bye dad!" she exclaimed, receiving a hazy hum of approval in response before leaving.

I was messing around with Fawn's wild magenta locks as we both lounged on her fluffy pink carpet. "So you're messing around with your father's boss?" she asked incredulously.

"We're not messing around, we're serious and I think I love him..." Olivia retorted abashedly.

Fawn let out a frustrated sigh before turning on her belly to face me, her viciously intense viridescent eyes gazing into mine, "For god's sake Olive, you're eighteen and that man is what? forty?" 

"He's thirty-two," she interjected.

"Right so he's fucking nineteen years older. How do you know he's using you, you're young and naive and he's a successful businessman, why would he be interested in you when he could have any model he wanted?" Fawn tried desperately to reason with her best friend.

"That's really hurtful you bitch but you don't know what it's like when we're together," 

"Fine fine. I'll believe you both are in love but then what about your parents?" 

"I haven't figured that part out yet but I'm thinking Alexander and I will tell them together after grad," she answered whilst gnawing on her lip.