Chapter 57

Valentine hurls Mars backwards – thrusting a heavy fist at his face

Valentine hurls Mars backwards – thrusting a heavy fist at his face. And then the two are a blur of movement.

The box. I need to get the box.

Heart in my throat, I spin on my heel. Thrusting forwards I grab Amena by the arm, and drag her through the glass door into the open plan office. She doesn't pull away – clearly just as keen as I am to put distance between us and the God of War. We sprint across the desolate space – me almost tripping over the length of my red dress as I dodge the messy desks and black classical columns. My hand still curled around her arm, we stagger into the indoor courtyard.

I stop – blood turning to ice. A new statue of the Founder has been erected in metal by the pond; the features clear in the moonlight cast through the skylight above.

I suck in deep breaths of the stale, floral scented air, pushing away a rise of panic that this replica of her has provoked. I thought my anger and Psyche's anger, would be enough to quell any fear of this monster.

But she tormented the both of us. She put Psyche through hell. She nearly killed me. And now I have to face her again.

I feel Amena's eyes on me.

I spin around to face her. My anger at her betrayal helps harden the soft swell of fear that has started to grow in the pit of my stomach.

I can do this.

"You're going to take me to Venus," I snarl at her. "Now."

For a moment the musty air of the courtyard is completely still. She says nothing. Her gaze doesn't move from mine, the corners of her lips turned downwards. We're both breathing fast, her chest moving quickly beneath her white Matchmaking Service jacket.

Then her forehead crumples.

"Of course I am," she says.

"I'm not your prisoner," I snap.

She rolls her eyes.

"Cal really is useless . . ." she says – almost to herself. Her big brown eyes meet mine. "If it makes you feel any better. . . "

She passes me the box and I frown, confused, as she turns away from me and walks past the pond; taking off her headset to throw into the still water. She shakes out her dark hair and moves to one of the ivy covered arches.

"Come on. Valentine's not going to be able to keep Mars busy for long. You need to deliver the box to Venus so we can stop this." She gives me a scathing look as I stare blankly at her. "What? You seriously think I'm on Venus's side?!"

"Well seeing as you tortured Cal, yeah . . . "

"I'm a double agent, Lila. The cupids and Venus trust me. I had to make it look realistic. How do you think I knew you were coming? Why do you think I sent so many of the cupids into the reception area – leaving the way to Venus clear? Cal messaged me. I was going to take the box and give it to you once we took you into her office as prisoner. Only the resurrection of an ancient god made things a bit more tricky. . . "