Ch: 10 (old)

~Anya's POV~

As I was yanking on the chain that held me to the bed, Ninetta decided to come into the room with a need that held a glowing magenta liquid. I would know what that is anywhere, the Heartfire virus. What I don't get is why she is going to try to give that to me as it would be a waste of the virus as they've tried to give that to me many times before and none of the doses worked. So how'll this work this time...? I asked myself. Without saying anything, she just decided to stick the needle in my arm, all of the cool liquid flowing into me. It was a bit chilly at first, which caused me to shiver. She then left the room as I began to feel tired but not sleepy, so I laid down as if I was asleep. The bindings on this bed didn't really give me much control over how I laid down but I made it work, kind of.

~3rd Person Pov~

As Ninetta left the room, she closed the door and leaned up against it. As she had entered the room, she didn't know what to tell Anya about what she was doing...? What if it didn't work the way she had seen it work under the microscope. She didn't want to make any empty promises to her, so she decided to say nothing and instead to just inject the contagious Heartfire virus into Anya before leaving the room. "I hope this works." She mumbled to herself as she stopped leaning on the closed door of the room Anya was in and walked down the hall, away from Anya's room.

~~~

Sarah was running a few laps around the perimeter of the fence until she was stopped by Laura. "What's up...?" Laura tried to make small talk.

"Were you at the infirmary...?" Sarah asked Laura as she had seemed so interested in Anya when she found out that Anya couldn't get the Heartfire virus.

"We found something out," Laura told Sarah.

"We...?" Sarah asked, not quite sure what the girl had meant.

"Ninetta and I," Laura tells Sarah as if it were the most obvious thing in this world. She then explained to Sarah about how they had managed to possibly give Anya the Heartfire virus. "But I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you," Laura says after her explanation of what she and Ninetta had found out.

~Sarah's POV~

I looked in the direction of the clinic building and then back at Laura. They had managed to give Anya the Heartfire virus according to her. I thought. How is that even possible...? Without saying anything to Laura or her saying anything else, I just up and dashed to the clinic building.

No one stopped me as I ran into the building and up the flight of stairs that lead to the floor that Anya's room was. Over the course of her life, Anya frequented the medical building so many times that they just reserved a room for her on the second floor of the building. I don't know if that's good or not but it did mean that every time she got hurt, she didn't haft to wait for a room if the medical building was full. After all, it's only a two-story building that doesn't have but maybe 12 patient rooms inside the whole building. The other rooms are used to store equipment in and anything else that they may need to use it for. It also meant that anyone who knows where Anya's room knows exactly where Anya will be in the medical building.

As I neared Anya's room, the door was shut closed and Ninetta was leaning up against it, a sad yet worried look on her face. She started walking away from the door, down the hallway. I don't think she saw me as she had started to walk down the hall away from me. I went up to Anya's door and stood there for a second or two before deciding to open it and go inside of the room. Once I was inside the room, I got a good look of Anya sleeping on the bed. At least I think she's asleep. The slow rise and fall of her chest confirmed that she was still alive and she didn't really hear me come into the room, so I think she's asleep. She looked calm, save for the pained expression on her face. Her skin was a pale white, almost like that of a ghost. She looked so different, yet the same, from how she looked a couple of days ago. If I didn't know better, I would say that she's sick but much more so than a normal 24-hour fluke that some of the non-heartfire people of this stronghold.

I went over to her side and stroked her face, she felt so hot yet so cold. It's like she was constantly switching between being hot or cold. She began to pull away from me, as if just me touching her pained her.

~Anya's POV~

About a minute or so after Ninetta went out of the room, I heard the door open and footsteps entered the room. I didn't look to see who it was as Ninetta or any of the other nurses wouldn't let anyone dangerous to me or anyone else come into my room. I felt heatwave and cold waves go up and down my body and my chest started to hurt but I tried to focus off of that and on my breathing. Breath in, breath out, breath in, and then back out. I almost didn't notice when the person came up to me and stroke my face. Instantly when they touched me, I felt pain spreading out from that area, which caused me to kind of pull away from them.

The changing heat and cold waves left my body and I thought that they had gone away but I was wrong, kind of. They did go away but a feeling of pins and needles took over. They were painful and caused me to almost freeze in place before my body started shaking and my consciousness drifted away into darkness.