Ten

Jordan doesn't ignore me today as promised.

My cabin was last to breakfast this morning, some campers waking up later than usual. I even woke up ten minutes after my alarm and had to rush to get myself and the boys ready. When we finally arrived I walked straight to the buffet until Jordan called me back. I guess he's feeling extra generous today because he had already picked out some food for me. He even chose what I would usually go for and about the same portion for each. Does he really pay that much attention?

I had wolfed down my breakfast, worrying that I wouldn't be able to finish if I went at my usual pace. Tammy had kindly reminded me that if I ate too fast, last night's chilli might come up with my breakfast, to which I responded with a dirty look.

Jordan's hair was tousled and his eyes were barely open. He must not have gotten much sleep after we said goodnight to each other. I didn't say anything to him or Astrid for all of breakfast and breathed a sigh of relief when I heard Joan's voice after I shoved the last bit of pancake in my mouth.

Jordan and I weren't paired together this morning and didn't have lunch with each other for the first time. It's almost two in the afternoon and, for whatever reason, we're switching the groups around. After being separated for a few days, Jordan and I are back together again.

"You know, the girls are great and all, but sometimes I think I'd go crazy without you," I say as I sidle up next to him. He doesn't look as tired as he was at breakfast. His mood has brightened significantly; his eyes shining, his posture upright, and a content look settled on his face.

Jordan quirks a brow. "Oh, really?"

"Don't flatter yourself. I only wish I had you with me in situations where I have to deal with the kids."

"So every day? I think I'm pretty flattered, Carter."

We're both excited to finally see each other after rotating with the girls, but before we can really get a conversation going, we find out that we're doing team building exercises today and are required to participate.

So much for hanging out.

We bump fists in parting and join our respective groups. We'll have to talk more later when we aren't battling through group exercises.

The first game is the water balloon toss. The goal is to toss the water balloon to each other around a circle and spread out the longer you go on. Whichever team lasts longer wins. I'm not sure if the winning aspect is included since we're supposed to be bonding or whatever, but I definitely know that Jordan is not going to be the last one going.

Both cabins stand in their own circles, Jordan and I each holding a water balloon to start the game. Hannah blows the whistle and we start tossing the water balloon. After the balloons make it around each circle Hannah instructs us each to move back one step. The game lasts a fairly long time, spanning from five minutes to ten to twenty. We're all pretty far from each other now and the game has become much more intense. It's not long until I hear the familiar splat! of a water balloon hitting the ground. I glance around quickly, thankful to see that Sebastian is still holding ours. With a grin I turn to face Jordan, who is looking right back at me.

"We'll get the next one, just you wait."

"Oh, yeah," I say with a grin. "I'm sure you will."

Except they do.

During tug-of-war, some campers lose their footing a bit too much, the rope twists and burns, and Grizzly Cabin yanks their way to victory and the rest of us—quite literally—to the ground. Even I hit the ground with a thud and wince at the sudden impact. When I look up, Jordan is grinning and holding out a hand for me. I take it and wipe the dirt off my shorts, avoiding his eyes.