CHAPTER 18

"Please, wake up!"

Rosaline groaned as she reached consciousness. The first thing she noticed, was that her right arm pulsing with pain. She winced and her eyes slowly fluttered open. She started to cough rapidly, the dust irritating her lungs. She inhaled deeply and then exhaled, catching her breath.

Her vision was blurry and as she blinked to clear her vision, she felt her head start to ache. It was bearable unlike her sore arm. She shifted her vision to the limb and flinched at the amount of blood that soaked her skin. The rocks that had tumbled down cut open the soft flesh resulting in it being bruised and bloodied.

Rosaline let out a sigh and looked around her, waiting for her eyes to adjust to the darkness. She could see that the entrance of the cave was covered with rocks and there was no way of escape. She was trapped.

Rosaline's eyes scanned the area where she lay against the wall before she caught glance of a piece of blue. Her brows furrowed and she reached out with her working arm only to pick up a small piece of the once whole blue gem.

She chuckled bitterly in her own situation and put the piece down. She knew it would be of no use to her and she was unable to call for help. She was trapped in a cave, injured and the island was sinking into the depths of the sea. She had to admit, it was one hell of a way to go.

"Are you alright?"

A familiar voice reached Rosaline's ears and her eyes widened before she looked at the small glow of the blonde girl. "W-What are you doing here? I thought you crossed over already!" Rosaline exclaimed but immediately regretted it when she coughed once more.

"I can't go and leave you alone! After everything you did for me, you're trapped in a cave and the least I can do is stay with you... Since you're the only one who can see me..."

Rosaline let out a sigh and her head fell back against the cold rock surface. She glanced at the blond girl and then smiled softly. "I'll be fine, you can go. You've waited so long to cross over, and I don't want you to wait any longer," Rosaline stated but the girl stubbornly shook her head.

"I'm not leaving you alone! I'll stay here until someone comes for you!"

Rosaline watched as the stubborn blonde girl went and sat down next to her before she chuckled again. The girl was truly amusing and her statement as well. As if anyone would come for her after she warned them of the sinking island, it was better if they escaped.

"They received your message, you know... They're all on their way to the ship, but I'm sure they'll come for you!"

Rosaline scoffed and her face became impassive. "Kid, if it's one thing I know about pirates, it's that they'd rather save themselves from dying than saving anyone else." Rosaline saw her frown deeply and she could see that the girl didn't want to believe her.

It was the truth she learned by hunting pirates and she was sure that it was the same with the Heart Pirates. She only knew of one group of pirates that never left behind their comrades and that was the Whitebeard Pirates, the most feared.

It meant death if you messed with one of the Whitebeard Pirates. Not only would you have a fleet of enemies, but you'll have the strongest man in the world on your case. Death was sure to be painful and slowly.

That was all before the Paramount War had happened. Things were completely different now. The Whitebeard Pirates scattered and were either in hiding or being hunted by Black Beard. Each one that he found, ended up dead for the navy to find.

Strange, she didn't fear death. Here, where she sat next to a spirit of a young blonde girl, knowing that the island was going to sink, she still didn't fear it. Then again, ever since she joined the navy, she knew hat she was already knocking on death's door.