CHP 15: DINNER GONE WELL?

Chp 15: Dinner gone well?

"Haley! Get your fat butt down. Now!" Mom yells from the kitchen.

"Urgh. Fine! I am coming!" I yell back for her to hear.

Tonight is going to be a disaster, is what I know for sure.

I have not come across Reece the whole day today. Maybe he is sick and won't come for the dinner tonight.

'That is just what you want.' My subconscious reminds me. And sadly, it is the truth. Because I know, he will not miss an opportunity of torturing me, for the world.

Since morning I have been feeling way too lethargic to function. It is probably because of the dinner though. It just has to be because of that.

Today in school, I almost dropped my whole lunch. If it wasn't for Jackson to hold me on time, it would have been all over me and the empty bleachers. Like seriously though, who falls down just own their own? No slippery ground, no one pushing from behind, not a single person except for yourself. Nothing. Just you, walking towards the bleachers with your lunch in your hands, being lazy as fuck and suddenly out of nowhere tripping on your own damn leg.

"Haley!" Mom yells again.

Damn, she is so furious today. I have never seen mom in such a hurry for things to happen before. Like she is just going from one corner of the house to the other shouting and cursing for no specific reason. She has taken this dinner just a bit too seriously.

'Something what you have not taken it as.' My mind keeps reminding me of the ugly, sad truth.

Finally I lift my butt from the bed that I love, and slowly make my way downstairs.

"Yes Mom?" I ask when I finally reach the kitchen.

"You do realize that we are gonna be having guests over here in less than an hour and one, you are not even trying to help me. Two, you are still not bloody dressed and three, where the heck is the schezwan sauce?!" Mom is way too hyper to function.

Both the things that she listed are true. I have not really helped in anything today. Except if going to the grocery shop last week counts. And yeah, I am in my lazy clothes. Sweat pants and a crop top. I wish I could stay that way for dinner but I know mom will kill me even if I ask her.

"Are you processing where the heck you have kept the sauce or what?!" I snap out of the shit I am thinking and go to the cabinet in which I kept the schezwan sauce.

"Here it is. Sorry mom. I think it is my time of month... I will go upstairs and get ready right away and.. um yeah. " I give her a small smile. She raises her right eyebrow waiting for me patiently to complete the last part of my sentence.

"And.. then I will come back down to help you." I add.

"Good. Now go." She gets back to chopping vegetables.

I open my closet door and look for a good outfit for tonight. What to wear? Isn't that a question every girl asks herself before going to the movies or on a date or to school even? Even though she knows what she should be wearing, this question comes out like a default before changing into something. I don't know, it has always been that way with me at least. I have loads of clothes. Like LOADS. But every time I like wearing the stuff I usually wear. Or like the clothes that get in hand first. And like always, always even if we have the clothes we say to ourselves that we don't. Why do we do that? Google is still searching for an answer.

I pick out a lemon coloured dress first. Nah too light fora dinner. Then I go towards an electric blue dress. This one is good. I think to myself. It is sleeveless. And has a black belt attaching the blouse to the skirt, which makes it a dress. I don't want to wear such a pretty dress and let it go for waste. Nah. Not this then. I pick out a white dress this time. It is a top to bottom lace dress. Nah not this one for tonight. I search for more. Grey? No. Too light. Pink? Nah. Too girly. Red? Too bright. Black? Too simple.