Ch. 12

Alec's POV

Jace has been acting weird lately. It's been a week and he still refuses to talk to me or even look at me. I have no idea why he's being like this. 

I sighed out loud, attracting my friends' attention, "What's up?"

I shook my head, "You guys wouldn't get it..."

Liam scoffed, "Try us."

I looked at him for a second, then at Mike and Jay, and finally shrugged, "Ok. Jace has been ignoring me and avoiding me like the plague lately."

"And that is different because...?"

I rolled my eyes, "I told you you wouldn't get it."

"Well explain it."

I looked around to make sure no one was listening. We're in the media center right now, trying to find books for our English papers. Or at least we were.

"You guys have known me a long time."

"Yeah."

"And most of the time I'm a pretty understanding and accepting person."

Jay nodded, "Except with Jace."

"Well, that changed."

"Huh?"

I sighed, "Since the wedding, Jace and I have been acting civil for our parents' sake. And his little sister. After a while of acting civil, we kind of just became civil and I know now that he isn't a bad guy. And I thought he thinks the same about me... but now he suddenly hates me again."

"Did you do anything to piss him off?"

I thought about it for a minute before I shook my head, "Not that I can remember."

"Have you tried asking his group of friends?"

I looked at Mike, "No... who are his friends?"

He laughed, "See a good start to being on good terms with Jace is to know basic shit about him like who he hangs out with every day."

I glared at him, "Whose side are you on?"

Liam laughed, "We're on your side but what Mike said is true. His friends are Dallas Isles, Riley Martin, and Grace Freeman."

I nodded, I remember that now, "Thanks. I have a few classes with Dallas and Grace."

"Be careful dude. If you did do something and you don't remember... they will eat you alive."

I groaned, "But I didn't do anything!"

"Let's hope that's true."

**

"Hey, Grace?"

She turned around with a smile on her face but as soon as she looked at me, it turned into a glare, "What do you want?"

Her threatening tone brought Dallas' attention to me too and he looked at me angrily but also curiously.

"I need to ask you guys something."

"If it's about Jace, drop it."

"I'm not dropping it."

At that moment, Riley came walking up to her friends and saw me, "Why are you here?"

"Where's Jace?"

"None of your business."

At that moment I saw her typing something.

"Are you telling him to stay away from me?"

She looked at me and glared, "If what you're thinking is I'm turning him away from you just because I dislike you, you're wrong. I'm telling him you're here. It's his choice if he wants to come over or not.".

I huffed, "Whatever. I just want to know what's wrong with Jace."

They all just stared at me until Dallas piped up, "Is that an actual question?"

"Yes! Why would I ask if it wasn't?"

"What's wrong with Jace is he thought he could trust you but you proved him wrong."

I furrowed my eyebrows at Grace, "What? How?"

The girls looked ready to pounce on me, Dallas put his arm out to hold them back, "Why don't you use that small brain of yours and think back to last week? He put his heart on the line and you gave him hope, then you crushed it in front of his face the next fucking day with the school hoe."

My eyes widened, "He saw that?"

"Yeah, he fucking saw it! That was the plan, wasn't it? You jackass!"

"No! No, you don't understand. She came up and kissed me. He must have left after he saw that otherwise, he would have seen me push her away. I would never purposely hurt Jace!"

At this point, tears pricked my eyes. I didn't think anyone saw that. She's going to fucking pay for this.

"Where is he? Please, I need to explain this to him."

The girls continued to stare at me with stern looks but Dallas's gaze softened, just slightly, "If I tell you and he becomes more upset, you're not getting off easy."

"I promise I will make everything right."

He sighed, "He's alone in Ms. Charles' room."

"Thank you so much!" I yelled behind me as I bolted across the school to find him before he goes somewhere else.

When I made it to the room, I stopped and caught my breath and peaked into the room and saw that he was sitting at a desk in the front reading a book. He was alone just like Dallas said. Before I could wimp out, I took a deep breath and opened the door and walked in. He looked up surprised and then a mix of anger and sadness washed over his face.

"What do you want?"

"Jace, please let me explain."

"You mean about how you lied to me and made a fool of me? Yeah, I'd love to hear how you planned that out."

I shook my head, " No, I didn't mean for that to happen."

He just stared at me so I took that as a chance to talk, "That day, Kira came up to me. I was on my way to class but she stopped me, she said she had something to ask me. I didn't want to but I stopped and waited to listen to her question. Next thing I knew, she was kissing me. But I pushed her away as soon as it registered in my brain and I told her to stay away from me. I never meant to hurt you, Jace. Please believe me."

He was silent for a few minutes before he sighed, "Okay. But I'm still staying on the couch and I'm not going to come running back to you."

"I'll prove myself, I promise."

He just nodded and went back to his book. I smiled to myself. He believes me.