The homecoming

Hi Everyone, 

I'm new to this whole site so still trying to work out how to get my story out there. Please comment, save share etc! Hope you enjoy what I have to offer :) 

It wasn't like before, no something felt very different when she stepped off that train. The smoke didn't seem to fill her lungs as much, the bustle didn't seem to irritate her. It felt like home but it also felt shiny and new.

Amelia was finally home. Quickly moving out of the way of passengers leaving the train she looked around

'Miss, your bags' came a stern voice from behind.

'Oh thank you' Amelia took the bags from the conductor and started to walk, taking in Small Heath. It was only when she saw her driver waiting at the front of the station did a familiar sting in her eyes become apparent.

'Welcome home Miss Crostwell' her fathers driver, James Rufford greeted her with a small smile as he took her heavy bags.

'Thank you James. It's nice to see you but please call me Amelia. None of this uppity nonsense'

Quickly sweeping into the car she patted down her dress and waited for James to pull away.

"To the manor Amelia?"

"No James. I have a new home now"

——

"Sorry Pol but I'm meeting an old friend. You don't mind do ya?' Ada said as she bounced on her heels. They where at Polly's house eating and catching up.

"And who might this friend be Ada?" Polly asked, raising her eyebrows in her accusationary fashion. A cigarette clasped in her hand as she surveyed Ada for clues.

Without a thought Ada rolled her eyes and start to pick up the dishes "a friend from nursing"

Polly scoffed, coughing on her smoke she fumbled the cigarette and put it out in between splutters.

"That one day nursing school- the one where you gave up half way through he day because you where bored shitless?"

Ada laughed and poured herself a large whiskey, resenting herself for never pushing through with anything. Ada was a smart girl but didn't have a real passion for anything, it was something she was trying to find.

"Yes Pol that one. Bloody ell' a girl can't live anything down in this fucking family'

Polly smirked

"So who is she?"

"Amelia Crostwell"

As if someone had electrocuted Polly she bolted out of her chair and rounded in on Ada and grabbed her by her delicate forearms.

"The fuck-"

"Now Ada, you tell me exactly how you're friends with this girl? She's a fucking toff, what's she doing hanging about with a Shelby?"

Ada pulled away harshly and sat down, expecting this reaction "I met her at the class, we got on Pol, she's not as bad as you think. Plus when her parents died, off she went to help with the war. Fuck sakes Pol she's even left the new Crostwell manor to rot"

Polly's eyes where fierce and shaky as she looked over her nonchalant niece. Polly knew about the Crostwell's, practically fucking royalty among society. Polly also knew that Tommy wouldn't like Ada hanging around new people.

"Your brother won't like-"

"Fuck him and his self righteous opinions" Ada seethed, practically spitting feathers as the thought of her brother telling her how to life her god damn life. "You don't tell him Pol, I need a friend who isn't scared of this fucking family"