Out In The Open

Amelia was running again but this time she was running to a place that by choice she wouldn't have. Amelia was going back to her parents house for a few days. Having called the doctor to explain that she needed a few days away she called James to pick her up that morning.

James was overjoyed that she was returning and hoped that she liked what they had done with the place. Amelia however was to busy in her own head as they drove down the large country lanes. Thought of last night plagued her, embarrassed her and left her wanting to just forget what had happened.

Small Heath was supposed to be the fresh start she needed. Amelia was very aware of the power she had over men, she had never struggled to get their attention but she always struggled to keep it away. Having nothing she could give she always decided to take herself away before things got complicated.

James was beginning to get worried on the drive, he had asked her several questions to which she didn't answer. 

"Amelia?" he asked

"Mhm" she turned to him then and it was the first time that she had actually looked at him.

"Are you okay?" he asked with a warm smile.

"I will be James, don't worry" and she patted his hand and placed a smile on her face.

---

Amelia stood at the front of the house frozen with fear. Even though this was not the same house she was brought up in it still had the same resemblance. Amelia was at war when her family home went up and this was the first time she had been back since the rebuild started.

Amelia knew her mother would of loved the new house but her father would have detested the slight downgrade in size. Sighing she pushed forward and told herself that it was just a house, as she stepped into the foyer she was relieved that it didn't feel like her home.

Amelia was instantly greeted by James' wife Eva Davies who was also a former servant to the Crostwell Family. Eva instantly enveloped her in a hug and Amelia felt herself hugging her long time friend back.

"It's so nice to see you Amelia" she breathed as she outstretched her arms to get a good look at her "You look so beautiful" 

Amelia grinned and looked at her friend and realised just how much she had missed them both. As a teenager she would spend a lot of her time with James and Eva getting up to all sorts of mischief.

"I'm so happy to see you both" Amelia grinned as she squeezed Eva's hand "The place looks amazing, thank you for keeping it all together"

Eva's eye's widened "Are you coming back?" and she could see the excitement in her friends face and hated that she would have to quash it.

Amelia turned to look at James as she spoke "I'm just going to stay for a few nights if that's okay? I have no plans to come back just yet so please treat this as your home" and Amelia picked her bag back up and waited for one of them to show her to her room.

---

A Shelby meeting had just started. Polly was slightly hungover, Ada didn't want to be near her brother, Arthur was still drinking and John was practically bouncing off the walls with post sex hapiness. Tommy was making his way in when John piped up.

"Alright Tommy?" he asked as he stuck a toothpick in between his teeth.

"Alright John" he answered back as she took off his cap and coat.

"Am swell Tommy" and he turned to smirk at the rest of his family.

Polly rolled her eyes at her nephew, he really was insufferable when he was happy. Esme would soon realise that on her own and she wasn't sure whether she should laugh or cry for the poor girl.