Back to Back

Amelia and Tommy soon entered the dark streets of Small Heath. The usual buzz of working men going about their business was replaced with revelers heading to the local pubs. Neither Tommy or Amelia had spoken a word in the last half an hour and both where grateful to be back home.

Just as Tommy pulled the car in front of her house she spotted Arthur, John and Esme stood at her front door. Arthur was the first to run around and open her door.

"Arthur what is it?" Tommy demanded as he watched his brother shut Amelia's door.

"It's Zeeva, there's complications or somethin' Tom"

"Shes bleeding" Esme shouted as she ran over to Amelia.

Amelia instantly looked at Tommy an knew this was important "Tommy can you fetch my bag?" quickly pulling her pin from her bag she twisted her hair and put it up. "Where is she Esme?"

"She's in Pollys kitchen come on!"

Running as quickly as she could in her restricting dress she thought about all the reasons the baby could be struggling and neither of them sounded easy. Amelia had only helped birth one child before and that was an easy birth. Nerves had already set in as she stepped into Polly's house but the scream of Zeeva bought her back to her senses.

"Love, your dress!" Polly breathed as Amelia bent down to look at Zeeva.

"It's just a dress" she mumbled before bending down and ripping at the hem, to allow her legs more room to sit. Amelia looked down at Zeeva who was writhing in pain, Zilpha at her side with completely open eye's.

Amelia knew straight away from her first check that the baby was back to back and if she didn't resolve this quickly she could loose both mother and baby.

Snapping into action she pulled Esme down to her level "Zeeva your baby is struggling to come okay? We need to move the baby first, its going to hurt but we will be quick"

Just as she began to show Esme what needed to be done Tommy burst into the door with her bag, he quickly dropped it into the kitchen without a word and refused to look at any of them. Ameilia would of laughed at his awkwardness if she had the time.

"Esme I need you to follow what I do exactly, okay? be firm and don't worry. Polly, Zilpha I need you to make sure Zeeva doesn't turn on her side as we do this okay?"

Everyone nodded, ready to spring into action and Amelia wasted no time as she and Esme mirrored each other, massaging the baby through Zeeva's stomach and turning him quickly. Zeeva screamed in agony and writhed but Polly and Zilpha kept her steady.

Amelia suddenly sat back, the babies head was crowning. Amelia reached into her bag and took out all of the clean towels she had and her scissors. Esme was right at her side ready to assist.

"I need you to push on my say okay?"

"You can do this Zeeva" Zilpha cooed in her daughters ear.

"Come on Zeeva" Esme called as her sister let out a deep throaty growl.

"Push! Push! Push!" and suddenly a beautiful baby girl was birthed right there into Amelia's arms. Amelia pulled her into a clean towel and cleared her airways, a small cry echoing through the room.

Amelia's sighed with great relief as she leaned up and passed the baby into its mothers arms "Congratulations on your beautiful baby girl" she smiled as Zeeva cried with happiness.

"Well done love" Polly brushed Zeeva's wet hair from her eye's and each woman stared down at the beautiful baby. 

---