Chapter Fifteen: "I was actually mesmerized by her accent."

Shorter chapter.

Question: Have you ever lost anyone close to you?

Chapter Fifteen: "I was actually mesmerized by her accent."

When I woke up this morning, I knew this was going to be one of the worst days of my life. I was dreading for this day to come, but it's finally here.

It's the day of the funeral.

I wake up early, around seven. I just lay in bed for a little, thinking about how my life ended up.

I certainly didn't think this day would come so soon. I was sure that I would be waiting for many years. But I also didn't expect to be moving into a house with a bunch of strangers. Two years ago, I didn't expect to be living with just my mom. I also didn't expect to have a panic attack as I was getting ready for my mom's funeral. Everything in life is unexpected.

I am currently sitting on my bathroom floor, my head on my knees as I start to hyperventilate. I could feel the panic attack coming before it even happened.

It's been so long since I had one.

I feel tears roll down my cheek and hit my knees. I feel as if the room is closing in on me. I try to do what I used to do. I focus on my breathing and trying to calm my racing heart.

Breathe in. Breathe out. Breathe in. Breathe out.

I feel myself start to calm down, so I pick my head up and lean it against the wall, still focusing on my breathing.

Still as brutal as ever.

A few minutes later, I stand up from the ground. I finish getting ready for the funeral and go back to my room to change into my black dress.

The dress is all black and comes down to around mid-thigh. It's tight in the chest and flows out at the bottom. The neck comes all the way to the top and there is a strap around the neck.

I grab a small, black handbag and head downstairs into the kitchen, my face solemn

Almost everyone is already in the kitchen. I notice Brenda with tears in her eyes. She walks over to me and gives me a hug. She holds me for a few minutes, just hugging me.

"You look beautiful," Brenda tells me.

"Thank you," I reply.

"Alright everyone, hop into a car! Let's start heading over to the church," Nick announces.

I ride over with Cody, Max, Ryan, and Kenzie, sitting in between Max and Cody in the backseat of Ryan's car. No one really talks to each other the whole ride.