18 ♚ The Power of a Name

Diana sat after Xander asked her to join them. Instead of sitting beside him, she settled herself on the one sitter, like an audience of a blossoming romance of two main characters.

"I apologize if I was only able to visit now. I heard what the crown prince did."

"I told you we're fine, 'Rese. I would not be crippled by something like that."

"I'm not worried about you, Xan. It's Diana. I came here in secret to check on her. And of course, I need to make sure your aid us not overworked."

By Therese's smile, Ysivan blushed pink, muttered an almost whispered, 'Thank you, My Lady.'

Diana could not help but smile. It seemed that there was no more distance now. Her presence as fiancee was not an issue. No gap between statuses has hindered Xander and Therese behind closed doors, that they were even calling nicknames. The heroine was even reaching out to those loyal to Xander, and she was adored.

"Lady Therese, I'm glad you're healthy. I was worried about the unfortunate news of your sickness."

But why was there a bitter taste in her mouth? Even the tea, nor the cake brought by Therese didn't help. The bitterness flowed down to her throat, and Diana knew what it was.

Jealousy is never delicious, especially if she has no right to.

There was a short silence. Therese hesitated to answer because it was a lie. Even the footmen knew it was the dukedom's excuse to distance from the prince.

But still, Diana swallowed the lump in her throat. "Well, I think Lady Therese and His Highness has a lot of things to catch up. I will excuse myself for now."

"Wait."

She paused by Xander's voice.

"Was there something you wished to tell me first?"

"It could wait, Your Highness." She bowed to him, as respectfully as she could, with her walls all up once more. She then turned around and left, didn't realized that her hand gripped her gown tightly that it crumpled.

She curtsied outside the door once more. Therese bit her lip and a forced mirror of Diana's smile. Xander just watched her with an unreadable expression.

Then the door closed. Diana took a deep breath, and her smile was somehow painful to her cheeks. "Ah, it's a great day."

Diana had enough of the books Countess Huxlin told her to read for homework. The older woman emphasized that it is not just etiquette that defines a noblewoman. "Only here in the capital that women are experts of perfume, silk, and how to match trends. I do not have anything against them. But this is a 'dog eat dog' world, Lady Alcotta. What our husbands do and their wealth do not define us. Some of them cheat, some of them don't; women must have more than clear and healthy skin."

It was what the older lady said but then proceeded to place three books about human behavior and one on how it applies to politics. Then their dancing lessons resumed.

There was no need for her to study them, nor she has to invest in court etiquette. It won't be long, and she'd leave this place. But she read them anyway, just to pass the time before relaying her report to Xander.

Last night, she went straight to bed without dinner nor meeting the prince again. But it was the crack of dawn that she was able to fall asleep after she studied and compromised with herself and her feelings.