Chapter 43

LIAM

Early the next morning, a familiar sound drags me back to consciousness. It cuts off abruptly, and I open my eyes. The sky is turning a brilliant shade of pink. Ada's body is curled against mine in the cocoon of our sleeping bag. My neck feels stiff and my back aches, but I've never slept better. I wish I could wake up next to this girl every day. I press my face into her hair, breathing her in. The smell of salt clings to her from last night.

The sound comes again from somewhere near my head.

Bzzzz. Bzzzz. Bzzzz.

It's my phone. I reach out, hand groping in the sand to find it, accidentally jostling Ada. She blinks, eyes bleary.

"Hello?" I mumble.

"Liam?" My sluggish mind registers Julian's voice. "Have you seen the story yet?"

There's something urgent in his tone that has me sitting up, instantly awake. "What story?" I ask, stomach turning to stone as I open Google. I type my own name into the search bar.

I see the headline at the top of the results at the same time Julian says, "Liam, is this true? Are you really bribing your dad to keep him from selling stories to the media?"

A loud buzzing fills my ears, blocking out the sound of the waves. I can't swallow, can't breathe. It feels like the ground beneath me has turned to quicksand. The worry and anxiety and fear that have been weighing on me for the past months bury me alive. My hand is shaking so hard, it's all I can do to tap on the link.

'Teen Icon Liam Anders Bribes Father to Hide His Dirty Secrets From the Press'

Everything inside me churns as my eyes travel down the screen to the photograph below the headline. It's a shot of me and my dad outside the diner in Jersey. Clear as the goddamn nose on my face, you can see the fat envelope of cash clutched in his fist.

My mind flashes to that photographer, asking me about my dad the other night. I thought it was a coincidence, that she was only fishing for details about my personal life. But I remember how upset Ada got after she mentioned my dad, and how she told me the girl was her coworker.

And then there's Mia's text from yesterday, I know you don't want to talk to me right now. But you should know your girlfriend is planning on selling stories about you to the press.

I squeeze my eyes shut. Please, no. Please, no. Please, no. I chant the words inside my head like a mantra and force myself to read the credit under the picture.

'Ada Datchery/The Huntley Agency'

Distantly, I'm aware that Julian's still talking. I don't register a single word. Pain and shame and rage slam into me until I can't tell which way is up. I trusted her.

I trusted her, and she sold me out. Just like my dad did. Just like everyone I'm stupid enough to let in always will.

I look over at her. A feeling of numbness stretches over me, taut as a rubber band. It's the only thing keeping me from coming apart. Ada's forehead furrows, eyebrows pinching with concern.

"Julian, I'll call you back," I say tonelessly.

"Liam, we need to talk about this. Figure out how we're going to handle it."

"I said I'll call you back," I snap, hanging up. The phone slips through my fingers, landing in the sand with a muted whump.

My friends are awake now, watching me, worried. But I don't look at them. Can't tear my eyes away from the girl who betrayed me in the worst possible way.