three

"hey! wait up!"

wonwoo slowed his pace, questioning himself if he was the one being called out. but knowing that, in reality, he didn't have any friends, he continued the walk to his locker. wonwoo was surrounded by many other students kim mingyu could have called out, figuring how popular he was in school.

"i'm talking to you! come on, wait for me!"

but for some reason it felt as if it was really him who mingyu was talking to. so again he took a pause to look back over his shoulder. it surprised him as to how close mingyu stood behind him and he noticed he had to look up a little to meet eyes. he didn't even had the chance to notice their little height difference before. although it wasn't that much. 

"why?"

wonwoo averted his gaze back to the hallway in front of him, that started running empty since students had to make it to class in time.

"because i want to know more about you." wonwoo noticed the playful tone in mingyu's voice, but shook it off, trying his best to ignore the tall boy shadowing him through a nearly empty hallway.

"don't you have friends waiting for you or something? what would they say if they saw you being around me, huh?" wonwoo said, sarcasm dripping from his voice.

"i don't think they would, since we practically got teamed up together. and even if they have something to say about it i wouldn't really care."

wonwoo just shrugged and hiked his navy blue backpack a little higher up his shoulder, taking a turn to the hallway his locker was located in. once he stood in front of the metal box, he dropped his bag and rolled the little digits in his lock to the right combination.

he noticed how it got suspiciously quiet behind him and he started questioning himself if mingyu gave up on trailing him. but when he turned around, the big puppy-like boy was still standing there, smiling the moment their eyes met.

"i have always noticed your presence, you know?" mingyu said out of the blue, flushing wonwoo's cheeks a crimson shade of red.

wonwoo tried to hide his embarrassment by turning around and collecting all his books, stuffing them in his backpack.

"that's great for you." wonwoo said with no further emotion in his already low voice.

"i expected a happier reply, but it's okay." mingyu let out an overdramatic sigh, making wonwoo roll his eyes and shut his locker. he slung his bag over his shoulder and started making his way towards the exit. "where are you going?"

"none of your business."

"sounds exciting! can i tag along?" mingyu kept trailing him like a lost puppy, trying his hardest to get wonwoo's attention somehow. there had to be a way, right?

"there's a reason why i gave you that answer." wonwoo tried his best to not show him how mingyu's sudden attention made him feel some sort of way. the boy was still seen as one of the school's biggest assholes after all  and he didn't quite understand why that same boy was acting so happy towards him all out of sudden. was it some sort of trap?

"and there's a reason why i'm trying to get your attention as well." mingyu stopped following wonwoo and started walking by his side instead, raising wonwoo's irritation level more than his former actions did.

"whatever mingyu."

"hey you remembered my name! well if that ain't some improvement?" mingyu smiled proudly, wiping down the invisible wrinkles on his a little too tight black polo with both his hands. "so, where are we heading?"

once they set foot outside the school building they were greeted by a cozily warm spring breeze, comforting their bodies in warmth after having their whole day spent in the chilly school's air conditioning system.

"i'm heading home and i don't really care about where you are going."

"then let me walk you home! come on, you can't keep rejecting me." mingyu put on a pout, hoping for wonwoo to see it and at least have a little feeling of compassion for him.

but unfortunately, wonwoo kept his gaze ahead of him, not paying attention to mingyu's facial expressions. "oh watch me." before wonwoo could protest mingyu following him home, his friends from the same class appeared out of no where.

apparently they had been waiting at the school's gate.

"that took you long! we have been waiting here for at least ten minutes!" chan complained, crossing his arms over his five hundred dollars beige trench coat.

"i was with wonwoo! wonwoo, you should meet my friends! this is- wonwoo?" mingyu's smile faded when he saw wonwoo taking a turn on the other side of the street, his earphones plugged in and his hands stuffed in the pockets of his skinny jeans.

"he got rejected by the quiet kid!" chan clapped his hands and threw his upper body forward, letting out a high pitched laugh.

"shut up." mingyu smacked the boy on the back of his head, returning back to his usual rude self. "minghao, junhui, you might as well shut your fucking mouth." he warned the chinese couple who laughed equally as loud as chan.

"come on, how can we not laugh about this. the kim mingyu, known for his good looks, got rejected by someone." minghao choked out.

"this is hilarious. i can't even remember the last time you got rejected by a girl. let alone the first boy you ever approached in this type of way." junhui clamped onto minghao, burying his nose in the crook of the smaller boys neck so his laughs would only come out muffled.

"whatever, i'm going home." mingyu humphed and aggressively pushed his hands all the way down his jeans pockets.

he ignored the disappointed yells and laughs coming from none other than his friends and kept walking home. mingyu didn't want to show how upset he got because wonwoo walked away when he tried to introduce him to his friends. but how could he sulk over it when it was just their first time meeting each other, because they just so happened to be teamed up for camp.

which.. might have been on mingyu's request as well.

the thing he told wonwoo earlier, about mingyu noticing his presence since practically forever, was absolutely not a lie. for some reason, wonwoo's outstanding beautiful features had alway caught his attention. however, he never dared to make a move since he was aware of how everyone around saw him.

kim mingyu, good looking, school's number one athlete, but a huge douchebag. he knew exactly how people talked about him when he was not around. how they feared him and only became friends with him to keep their own reputation up. to a point where he was unable to see what was real and what wasn't.

even when it pained him to see how people looked at him, he kept reminding himself that it was his own stupid fault. so he acted tough, as if none of it bothered him.

but when he finally got the opportunity to talk to wonwoo, he felt like he could speak freely and show more emotions than he usually did around anyone.

and whatever it had to take, he would get wonwoo to notice him as well. he would do his best to make wonwoo see him in a different light then everyone else did. the kim mingyu who was able to be happy and cheerful.

if he only knew that wonwoo couldn't get this one particular boy out of his head as well.