05

Simon didn't usually get anxious; he was a smooth talker and demon, so there was no reason for him to be anxious. Those were pathetic human emotions that he didn't have time to busy himself with.

However, now that Roman, the most dangerous Master Vampire in America, was involved and had recognized that Kayden was his soulmate, Simon found himself anxious and constantly looking into Kayden's office. He knew that he was more powerful than Roman, but an angry and determined vampire was a force to be reckoned with.

Simon didn't really need to focus on his work; he had the money to pay others to do it for him, so that's what he did. He spent his day playing games and texting Paxton, asking him to summon the demon lord, Alastor, so he could speak with him.

Alastor had a special hate for Roman, so he'd be a good person to talk to about his current situation. Plus, Alastor was the one who let them come to Earth and gave them the gift of soulmates, so Simon was sure he'd care for Kayden.

It was only three when Simon entered Kayden's office without knocking, making Kayden jump as he turned away from the computer.

"Do I need to get a damn sign that says 'knock before entering'? Because this is getting really old," Kayden said, turning back to the screen and typing up something else. "I'm almost done with the report for your Kingston project."

Simon hummed. "Thanks," he said, peering over Kayden's shoulder and seeing his organized tabs for the report. "I'm sending you home."

Kayden looked at the time in his computer. "It's only three," he said, furrowing his eyebrows. "And I'm not done. I have about an hour more of work, which makes sense because I'm done at four."

"Well, you're done now," Simon said, reaching over and turning off the computer.

Kayden's mouth dropped open. "Asshole! I didn't save that document!" he exclaimed, slamming his fist on the desk. "Why are you such a dick?! I've worked all day on organizing that putting that together for you and you just deleted it!"

Simon didn't expect his outburst, but before he could start to apologize, Kayden pushed past him and stormed out of the office. He wanted to chase the human and offer his sincerest apologies, but he knew he needed to get home and talk to Alastor.

Or yell at Paxton if he didn't summon their Master.

He looked at the cameras before shutting down his computer, a smile creeping to his face when he saw Kayden walk into the elevator and flip off the camera, much like he had when he arrived at work.

A small part of Simon was tempted to lock the elevator and keep the key in the future so Kayden couldn't get into it without his permission, but with how angry Kayden had been, Simon didn't want to push him.

Maybe in the future.

•••

Alastor was sitting at the kitchen table when Simon returned at half past eight, chatting with Lexi as the lustful man told him all about his show the night before and how much he longed to find his soulmate.

"You'll find him, Lex," Alastor promised, grabbing the pink-haired man's hand and rubbing it reassuringly. "And if you can't, you're always welcome to join me at the celebration."

Lexi's eyes flashed pink as a blush covered his face. He got up from the table and skipped away, giggling to himself as he dashed down the hallway to his room.

Alastor was about to follow him, but Simon got in his way.

"We have a problem," Simon said, making Alastor groan in annoyance. "Your dick can wait, I can't."

"When he's all mad and stomps out of his room to fight me, you're the one who takes blame," Alastor said, sitting back down in his chair and propping his feet on the table. "What do you want and why are you late? I thought you finished at four."

Simon sighed as he sat down in the chair that Lexi had just vacated. "I found my soulmate," he said, making Alastor's eyes light up. "And I was busy typing up a report he had done that I deleted, so he's mad at me and I'm trying to make it up to him."

"That's fantastic!" he said, smiling at his demon and ignoring the part where Simon told him that his soulmate was currently pissed off and hated him. "Has the group met him?"

"Tried to invite him to dinner and he rejected me," Simon grumbled. "He's fiery."

Alastor chuckled. "I'd be disappointed if he wasn't. At least he'll keep keep you on your toes."

"Trust me, the attitude is the least of my problems." Simon tapped his foot on the ground, feeling anxious once again. "Roman decided to stop by."

Alastor's pleases expression shifted into anger. "What?" he asked, his human form shifting into his demon lord body and making him taller, curly horns forming on his head and wings springing out of his back. "Why?"

"Asked me to schedule a meeting with you so he can get what he's been asking for since you sent us to Earth," Simon said, wincing as Alastor snarled. "And he tried to flirt with my soulmate. Idiot."

Alastor's expression shifted once again, and he fell back into his human form, his eyes wide with concern. "He flirted with your soulmate?"

"Yeah, he's known for being a flirtatious piece of shit."

"Yes, we know that, but..." Alastor trailed off and stood up. "He's desperate. You know that."

Simon narrowed his eyes. "So?"

"He's a Master Vampire who hates demons because we refuse to give him what he wants. I'll bet anything that he's going to go after your soulmate in order to get what he wants."

Simon stood up, shaking his head in fear, willing Alastor's words to not be true. "Kayden is my soulmate! He can't just be taken away!"

"A human does not feel a soulmate connection unless they've been shifted into a partial demon... or a vampire. However, while Kayden may feel the connection toward you if I change him into a partial demon... if he's taken by a Master Vampire, like Roman, and shifted, he'll feel the bond for the one who shifted him."

Simon kept shaking his head, hating the words spilling from his Master's mouth. "It doesn't matter. Why would he go after Kayden?"

Alastor pulled off his shirt and let his wings burst from his back. "You think he won't? He flirted with your soulmate and has always wanted revenge on every demon connected with me, and if that consists of taking your soulmate and making him a fledgling, he will," he said shifting completely into his demon form.

Simon looked outside the dark of the night and saw that the sky was cloudless. "Let's go," he said, stripping off his own short and shifting into his own demon form. "He'll be out in the open, since it's a clear night. We have to hurry."

"Text him and tell him to stay inside," Alastor said, and Simon did even though he knew full well that Kayden wouldn't respond to the message or listen.

The two demons flew out of the house and toward the city where their his soulmate lived.

"I can't believe you didn't realize that Roman was going to take every opportunity to ruin our lives," Alastor growled. "You know as well as I do that of all the demons besides me, he hates you the most."