07

Simon was flying around the apartment building while Alastor encountered Roman. Even though the vampire was smart, he would focus entirely on Alastor and ignore the fact that Simon would be hovering around somewhere, waiting to save his soulmate.

He heard them talking, and then he heard Roman speaking, but he couldn't make out words. The tone was threatening, however. Then, he heard a scream and flew straight toward the sound, catching Kayden in his arms and holding him tight to his chest.

Before Simon could say a word to Kayden, he watched the human pass out in his arms.

As he looked up to the roof, he saw Roman's red eyes glowing as he glared over the edge.

"Get back to the mansion," Alastor called from the roof. "I'll take care of him."

Alastor watched from the roof as Simon flew off, then he turned his attention to Roman. Before he could get another word out, the vampire chuckled and leapt off the roof, and by the time Alastor made it to the edge, Roman had already vanished.

•••

Simon landed outside the mansion and rushed inside, cradling Kayden like a child as he carried him to the living room. He laid him down on the couch and yelled for Paxton.

"What's going on?" Paxton asked. "I summoned Alastor like you asked me, then I had to go make a phone call and when I came back Lexi was pouting and the back door was open!"

Simon glared at him. "I don't have time for your stupid questions! Go to the Paradise Apartment Complex on Birch Avenue and go to room 4B, take this key, give the landlord in room 7A and tell her that Kayden is no longer a tenant and clear out all of his stuff from the room. Now!"

Paxton growled. "You can be stressed all you want, but that's no excuse to be ordering me around," he said, his eyes beginning to shine. "I'm a high ranking demon, same as you. You don't get to order me around like I'm some low ranking demon or some human."

Simon growled, his claws itching to dig into his fellow demon's skin. He saw Paxton's eyes dart to Kayden's unconscious form.

"Wake up your bitch and make him do it," Paxton said, wrinkling his nose in disgust as he looked at Kayden. "He's just a human."

Simon roared and grabbed Paxton's shoulders, slamming him against the wall. He closed one of his hands around Paxton's neck, the other on his chest, holding him against the wall, two feet off the ground.

"If you ever speak about him like that again, I swear-"

Simon's yelling was cut off when he was shoved away from Paxton. He snarled and rushed over to Kayden's sleeping form, pulling him into his lap and hugging him tight.

Greyson had shoved him and was standing with wide eyes, shocked that Simon was able to attack Paxton.

Of all the demons, Paxton was the closest with Alastor and also the strongest when it came to mental ability. He could take down any of the sins by overwhelming their emotions, but Simon was angry enough to take him down and keep his mind from being penetrated by Paxton.

"What is going on?" Elijah asked, his voice dropped to a whisper in his terror.

"Stop asking stupid questions," Simon growled, only able to keep his claws from bursting back out because he was holding Kayden. "Do as I say! Now!"

Greyson grabbed Elijah's hand. "We'll take care of it," he said, pulling his soulmate toward the front door. "Pax, do everyone a favor and don't piss him off. E and I are the only two that are soulmates besides Simon and this human, so we know how possessive and protective they can be. Don't piss him off or not even Alastor will be able to save you from the pain you'll endure."