Chapter One

"Hi, welcome to Chipotle, what can I get started for you?" I asked a customer who walked into the restaurant. It was dead and it had been since I got here at 4:00 in the afternoon. It was now around 5:00 and I wasn't complaining about the lack of customers, but I knew that the rush would be here any second now.

     I took her in as she walked up to me from the door. She had ocean blue eyes, long, light blonde hair that was perfectly straightened and framing her face, flawless olive skin, a blue blouse, torn, blue skinny jeans, a pair of black, high top vans, and a light blue hospital mask. She smiled... or at least squinted. It's hard to tell through the mask, but I could see it in her beautiful eyes. Wait, is she checking me out? She looked me up and down, then spoke, "Hi there. How are you doing? Also, I'll have a salad please."

     Normally, I wouldn't engage in small talk. I have orders to take, but this girl was cute and apparently giving me her attention, so I entertained it. I have to admit, I wasn't really sure what she saw in me. I was in my standard, black, unisex, Chipotle shirt, my baggy blue jeans, a dirty apron, my black Chipotle hat, and my blue sea turtle mask. I have light brown eyes and short brown hair shaved on the sides with long, bleach blonde feathered hair on top.

     "A salad, yes, of course. And I'm great. How are you?" I replied quickly. Serving people always stressed me out because I hated messing things up or getting things confused and then making the customers frustrated with me.

     "I'm great now," she stared at me for a moment. She's flirting with me, but why? What's going on? "I've been craving Chipotle all day. Just got off work and came straight here."

     I knew if that mask wasn't there, I would've seen a smirk on her pretty face. I replied, asking, "Oh? Where do you work?"

     "The Pet Smart over there," she pointed behind her because it was in the same parking lot, then asked, "Can I get chicken and fajitas in my salad too please?"

     "You got it. Any queso in that?" I ask her, the fact that she was a cute girl who worked with animals making my face a little red. These masks were helpful for more than just disease prevention.

     "No, thanks though."

     "Okay, and salsas?" Making the rest of her order would usually be someone else's job, but I planned to keep this girl's attention as long as possible while we weren't busy.

     "Yes, I'd like pico, corn, sour cream, and cheese. That's all, thanks." As she listed off the rest, I poured the items on and then closed the lid of the salad bowl.

     "Of course, and would you like any chips or drinks with this?" I asked her to finish up the order, which I really wished wouldn't end. Wished she wouldn't leave, but I couldn't make her stay and talk to me.

    "Uh, nope. But what I would like..." she paused and fished through her small purse for her phone. She opened it and pointed it at me, resuming, "is your number. Please?"

     She smiled at me again with those eyes. I froze. I just stared at her for a moment, dumbfounded until I realized I needed to take the phone and put my number in it before she changed her mind, but not before stripping my gloves off so I didn't get her phone dirty.

     "Oh, sure. Sorry, you just surprised me." I gently took the phone from her and put in my number along with a picture of myself with my mask and hat.

     "It's okay," she laughed a little, "Thank you." I handed it back and she laughed again. Her laugh was so cute and contagious. "Alex, huh? It's nice to meet you. I'm Chloe."

     "It's nice to meet you too, Chloe. Also, your total is 11.24. Cash or card?"

     "You don't have some kind of cute girl who's hitting on you discount?" She joked, tucking her phone into her pocket.