Chapter Ten

After I went home, my parents wanted to keep me in the guest room so that they'd be able to keep a better eye on me while I healed, but I wanted to be in my room. After some arguing and negotiation, I was allowed to stay in my room and heal there. My parents told me they'd bring me meals so I didn't have to leave my bed, so that was nice. I could only eat foods that were soft and non-acidic. I also had to clean the stitches with salt water rinses and take antibiotics.

I'd missed work for the past few days, so I called my manager to let him know I was okay, I just went to the hospital and needed three weeks to recover.

Chloe came over every chance she got to see me and take care of me. She'd bring my meals to me for my parents, refilled my water, and helped me change my shirts when I needed to. My doctor told me I could shower and do just about everything normally since the splint was removable and could get wet.

Chloe and I would watch movies together in my room and she'd sleep over when she didn't have work. She even brought over her own toothbrush to keep in my bathroom. I did get to see her in my clothes after all. She stole my favorite hoodie constantly. She said it smelled like me and she loved that.

The only downside of being with Chloe all the time was that I didn't hang out with my brother as much as I used to. He never hung out with me when he was with his girlfriend, so I assumed it wouldn't hurt him too much. I tried to talk to him as much as I could and he was really sweet to me when I was injured. He offered to help me with anything I might need. He gave me one of his water bottles and bought me snacks.

One night, about a week into my recovery, almost all of my stitches had dissolved and Chloe was staying the night when Jake came into my room.

"You guys wearing anything?" He jokingly asked as he knocked on my door and walked in a few seconds later. Chloe was cuddling into my side next to me in my bed as she watched me play The Last of Us Part II.

"Yes, you idiot," I laughed.

"Sup, fuckers!" He shouted as he came in.

"Hi Jake," She responded with a smile.

"How are you doing?" He directed his question towards me.

"Everything still hurts, but the eye drops and meds have been doing wonders, so there's that," I told him.

"That's good. I just wanted to check on you. I'll leave you guys to it, don't have too much fun," He said the last part with a wink. He could be so infuriating sometimes, but I was glad he cared.

"Thanks, dork. I'll talk to you later. Bye."

"Bye!" He exited my room, leaving the door cracked for Carley, my cat.

"Sorry about him," I said to Chloe.

"What do you mean? I think he's sweet," She said with a puzzled look on her face.

"He is, but all the sexual innuendos and jokes he makes? It's too much," I laughed.

"I don't know, I think it means he cares in his own way."

"I know he does. I think he likes you too," I commented.

"I'm glad. Approval from the whole family!" She exclaimed. It was true, my parents loved her, especially since she was helping take care of me and keeping me company.

"I guess that means you're a keeper," I looked down at her and smiled.

"Of course I am," She proudly pronounced, then pointed out, "Looks like your lip has healed a little, your smile is getting wider."