24. Partially Drunken Victories

chapter twenty four / partially drunken victories

  "Don't you tell your mother you've been gambling," Mr. Weasley lectured Fred and George, as they all made their way slowly down the purple-carpeted stairs.

   "Don't worry, Dad," said Fred brightly, "we've got big plans for this money. We don't want it confiscated."

   Mr. Weasley looked for a moment as though he were going to ask what these big plans were, but seemed to decide, upon reflection, that he didn't want to know.

   Cassie laughed with Hermione as they stumbled down the elegant steps of the gold stadium, the two girls standing in the back, Cassie occasionally throwing a piece of leprechaun's gold at Ron's back that earned multiples fits of giggles with Hermione.

   They poured back into the crowd soon enough and, after straining her neck and standing on the very tips of her toes, Cassie's eyes landed on a familiar face. She grinned.

   "I'm going to visit Cedric's tent," she told Hermione. "Promise I won't be out too late – I just want to say hi."

   "You know how to find your way back, right?" Hermione scrunched her eyebrows together and pursed her lips.

   "Yes, yes. Go, you're gonna get left behind," Cassie gestured to the rest of their party, who was already a few feet ahead of them and beginning to get lost in the crowd. "Tell the others where I've gone if they ask."

   Hermione jogged ahead to catch up with the rest of them, while Cassie turned and snaked through the crowd of people in the general direction of where she'd seen Cedric standing with his father. It took her a minute or two, and she stumbled into at least four Ministry wizards on the way, but she made it.

   Cedric had just begun walking into his tent when she called out his name.

   "Cedric!"

   The boy turned his head and, upon seeing Cassie waving her hand in the air, grinned. She rushed over and he threw his arms around her in a celebratory hug.

   "Ireland won!" he exclaimed over her head, and she fell limp in his arms. He raised an eyebrow, pulling out of the hug and holding her shoulders in his hands. "What?"

   "Stupid Ireland. Not fair," she grumbled, crossing her arms. "Lost a bet, all because Ireland's so good at playing Quidditch. Not fair."

   "Oh, come on," Cedric laughed, dropping her from his hold. "Come inside, I want you to meet my mum!"

   "Sorry, Ced." Cassie smiled apologetically, but shook her head. "I promised Hermione I wouldn't take too long. See you on the train, though, right?"