Four

Levi Hutchins. Tight End on our high school's championship-winning football team. I very vividly remember him being tall, handsome, and insanely popular. Even as a teenager, he had a jaw that could probably cut glass and a six-pack that made all the girls drool. And his smile, gosh, it was so bright. And beautiful. So, so beautiful. And ever-present; I'm pretty sure the guy almost always had his lips turned upward when we were at school. Levi was practically famous around here back in our high school days, royalty even. Everyone wanted to be his friend. Or date him. Hell, he could get almost any girl to drop her panties for him with just a simple grin in her direction; I'd heard many rumors of that particular event happening on multiple occasions.

He was the only crush I've ever had--the only man I had ever been interested in before Theo came along.

And now he's even more gorgeous than he was back then if that's even possible.

Although we were never really friends, Levi was the type of guy who was friendly to everyone. The kind, outgoing guy that didn't like to leave anyone feeling left out. He'd often go out of his way to include the less-popular kids in just about any activity. You see, it wasn't just his looks that had me head-over-heels for him all those years ago. I had thought he was perfect at the time and would have probably keeled over in excitement--and I mean, literally excited myself to death--if he had ever asked me out.

That could never have happened, though, especially after my reputation took such a drastic turn.

And now... Well, now I want no lingering connections to this forsaken town.

"How was your walk, Alexis?" Theo asks snarkily as I enter the hotel room, instantly bringing me back to my current reality. He's pretty obviously still upset about the whole name thing. I don't know whether or not I can really blame him, either, but I just can't deal with this at the moment.

I do my best to refrain from rolling my eyes, but it takes a significant amount of effort that I hadn't planned to expend on such a task. I have to admit that it annoys me that I'm not able to save all of my strength for the coming days, instead wasting it on things like this. I should be stockpiling it for the heartbreaking and gut-wrenching existence I'll have while I'm stuck here in this town of bad memories and painful reminders. Instead, I'm using up all my energy on conversations that could probably wait until we're back in New York. I force myself to sound as calm as possible, even with my annoyance suddenly alarmingly re-inflated. "I told you, I'd prefer if you didn't call me that," I reply, wishing he would just let it go, at least for now.

"It's your name," he hisses through his teeth, the anger visibly raging in his eyes. You know that saying, "if looks could kill?" Yeah, rigor mortis would likely be setting in for me by now if that were the case. Still, I can't seem to bring myself out of the "all about me" haze that's temporarily clouding my mind.

"Look, Theo," I say with a sigh, finally reaching my limit of unnecessary drama. "If this is going to be such a big deal, then maybe you should just go home and cool off." With my own anger bubbling close to the surface, I command myself to keep my voice as steady as possible. I really don't want to fight with Theo over this. Or at all. Especially not now. I admit, however, that the nerve of this guy surprises me, even after the months we've spent together. "I understand that you're upset, and your feelings are valid. But this entire situation is hard enough for me without having to argue with you on top of everything else," I inform him, making my own feelings clear and hoping he'll understand.

Theo glares at me for a few moments before throwing his hands up and shouting, "I don't know why I even bothered to come with you; you obviously don't want me here." He pauses after the statement, his chest heaving.

Apparently, wishing for Theo to understand my needs at a time like this is too much to ask.

I don't bother to respond verbally, even though I'm sure he wants me to fire back at him. Or beg him to reconsider. But I won't do either. It takes everything in me not to roll my eyes at him right now. Again. Is he seriously making this about him? Is he trying to make me feel guilty? While he probably has a right to feel angry at me, this really isn't the time for such an argument. We're here for my grandmother's funeral, for crying out loud! Trying my best to contain the suddenly overwhelming negative feelings, I take a deep breath and say, "I'll see you in a few days after everything is settled with Grandma's funeral and stuff."

Not saying another word, Theo quickly begins throwing his things into his suitcase. I stand by silently, watching as he mentally debates whether or not he should actually fold his clothes before finally allowing his anger to win. He must be really upset with me if he is willingly allowing his expensive shirts to wrinkle. Unfortunately, I can't bring myself to care at this point; I'm seething myself. Theo huffs as he hoists the stuffed luggage from the bed, glancing in my direction before storming out of the room. As the door slams shut behind him, I can't help but wonder if he had expected me to stop him from leaving. A good girlfriend probably would have, but I've never claimed to be such. Oh, well. I listen quietly to the sound of his heavy footsteps receding down the hall as he stomps away, and I let out a relieved breath. At least that's one less thing I have to worry about while I'm here. I realize that I probably should be more concerned about the status and well-being of my relationship. I just can't bring myself to care right now.

I plop myself onto the bed, burying my face in my hands. There's far too much going on here right now, and I'm feeling unexpectedly out of sorts. I came back to this town to say goodbye to my grandma, and that's what I intend to focus on for the next few days; boy drama can wait. Or disappear entirely, but with my luck, that likely won't happen.