Chapter Two: Ring The Bell

Introducing herself to the girl next door was easier said than done.
To put it simply, Erin was very bad at striking up conversations with people.

She could talk for hours once she got to know someone, but trying to talk to someone brand new was extremely difficult.

It's been three days since Erin first saw the redheaded girl.

She's letting the neighbors get settled in before she goes over to their house and awkwardly tries to make conversation with the redheaded girl.

She didn't want to bug them too early, that would be a terrible first impression.

Staring out the window in her bedroom again, her mind began to wander off into a daydream.

"Erin, come here!" Carol hollered a half-hour later, which jolted Erin out of her subconscious.

She went out into the kitchen, seeing a tray of oatmeal-raisin cookies cooling off on the stove top.

Oatmeal raisin cookies meant one thing in the Lewis household: They were going to meet the new neighbors.

Ever since she was a little girl, Erin would follow her mother and father to the newest neighbor's house and give them a container full of oatmeal-raisin cookies as a welcome gift.

"Can you put those cookies into a tupperware container for me?" Carol asked. Erin nodded her head with a hum and began to scoop the cookies into the plastic box.

A couple minutes passed as Erin and Carol made the short walk next door.

Erin's father, Mark, had opted out of going this time.
Instead, he decided to take a nap on the couch.

Her father had recently gotten a new job as an "Uber" driver. His shift was during the night, which meant he'd sleep most of the day in little intervals.

The two of them stepped onto the porch, as Carol nudged Erin's shoulder, and gestured towards the doorbell.

Erin rang the bell and waited for a moment, as the sound of someone running hastily down a flight of stairs could be heard through the door.

The redheaded girl peeked through a little glass window in the door, then yelled something to her mother, and walked away from the door, where an older woman took her place.

The woman opened the door and said with a slightly confused expression,
"Hello?"