Chapter Twenty-Four: More Than Friends

On a Friday pretty close to the middle of August, a day or so after they'd made up, the two of them were at park, riding around on their respective bike and skateboard.

After a little while, the two girls took a break and sat under a large shade tree.

"Erin, what are we?" Zoey asked abruptly.
Erin turned to her..
"Friends." She answered after a moment of thought.

She might've been taking the question too literally. Her answer wasn't the one that Zoey wanted.

Zoey looked uncomfortable at that. She cleared her throat.
"Do you think we could be more than that?"
"More than friends?" Erin asked. "Partners?"
"Yeah, that."

"Are you asking me to be your girlfriend?" Erin asked.
Zoey smiled at her, feeling her face get a bit warm.
"Yep. Do you want to be my girlfriend, Erin?"

Without an ounce of hesitation, Erin answered the question.
"Yes."
That made Zoey very, very happy.

"I have a girlfriend." Erin said softly to herself. That was something she never thought she'd say. It would take some time getting used to. Nevertheless, she was happy saying it.

She felt Zoey take hold of her hand.
That made her heart swell with joy. She turned to Zoey, who was handing her an earbud with her other hand.

Erin put the earbud into her ear. Zoey's playlist was filled with calm, easy-listening music as well as some indie stuff.

They sat under the tree, hands squeezed tightly together, listening to Zoey's playlist.