Chapter Three: Small Talk

Carol smiled at the woman.
"Hi! We saw that you moved in a few days ago and we wanted to welcome you to the neighborhood with a few homemade treats." She said cheerfully.
"Oh, thank you. Come in, please." The woman replied, opening the door while motioning for them to step inside.

Carol went to talk with the woman, who's name was Sharron Hill.

Erin sat next to her mother for a few minutes, when Sharron pointed her towards the backdoor.
"I have a daughter your age. You can go talk to her out there, if you'd like."
Erin thanked her, then made her way outside.

When she closed the door, she saw a large trampoline with two people jumping on it, the redheaded girl and a small redheaded boy.

At the click of the door being closed, the redheaded girl stopped jumping and looked at Erin curiously.
"Hey, you're the girl from the house next door, right?"
"Mhm." Erin answered with a nod.
"What're you doing here?"
"My mom made cookies for you guys. It's her way of saying, 'Welcome to the neighborhood.' Your mom said that I could come out here."

The redheaded girl hopped off the trampoline and moved a bit closer to Erin.
"Oh, okay. My name's Zoey. That's my little brother, Mikey." She said, pointing at the small boy who looked to be no older than five or six.
"Hi!" The boy squeaked with a joyful grin on his face.

Their conversation fell flat quickly, which caused for Erin to look for something to comment on, something to talk about.
Zoey beat her to it by saying,
"I like your shirt."

Erin's shirt was gray and read, "Gravity Falls, Oregon" with a pine tree underneath the words.
"Gravity Falls" was a cartoon that Erin really loved.

Coincidentally, Zoey also liked the show, as she wore a backwards snap-back hat that had the same pine tree on it as Erin's shirt.
They had a common interest, which kept the conversation going.

The two of them talked for a while, until Carol called Erin home.

Before she left that day, Zoey said something to her.
"It was nice meeting you. Maybe we could hang out again tomorrow?"
"I'd like that. See you later, Zoey." Erin replied with a smile.
"See you around, Erin."