Chapter 30

AELIN POV

She was so stupid. SO stupid. She really was. Still, she couldn't stop staring at her right hand, the same one Rowan had held all evening as they watched the sun set over Doranelle that day. Then he held it some more as the night wore on and he told her of his memories growing up in Doranelle. He pointed to the school he went to to learn magic and the Healers Guild where he would go to get patched up, before he had ever learnt how to heal himself. She was surprised that he had grown up frequenting so many public spaces. As a Prince, she had thought that he would have had some type of royal schooling, but apparently he and his many cousins would get into so much trouble fighting amongst themselves in private tutoring sessions that his family had decided to send them all to different schools so they could interact with children other than themselves. He had also pointed out all his favorite places. Not at all to her surprise, these were mostly outdoor places. Parks and botanical gardens—his interest in herbology actually did surprise her —, rooftop taverns that he could casually fly to on a moment's whim and, of course, sparring arenas. They were so many sparring arenas. He promised to take her to one tomorrow so she could practice working on her magic.

"Aelin, get over it and go to bed," Elide chided from the twin bed across from her.

"He held my hand for hours, Elide."

"Yeah, you've told me at least ten times, but we have to be up early tomorrow. I heard that the head maid can be a bit difficult."

"I bet you're still up because you're thinking about your own evening with Mister Tall, Dark and Brooding. And don't act like you didn't ditch me to see him yesterday."

Elide huffed indignantly, sitting up straight. "For your information, I am not attracted to Lorcan. I did go looking for him but that's because I needed access to private political records so I can try to piece together what the hell is happening."

"If you say so," was all Aelin said.

Elide pursed her lips as she tried to get comfortable again. "Tall, dark and brooding isn't my type, for the record."

"Oh? What is your type then? You've always been so secretive, even with me."

"And so I shall I stay," she said sweetly, "Now, goodnight."

"Goodnight," Aelin sang, even knowing she'd still be up for a while contemplating her time spent with Rowan today.

This wasn't like her at all, but the Gods new she was a new person lately. She had never been tied up like knots over someone before. She was the type to have men wrapped around her finger. This time, it really felt like it was the other way around. Usually, she was all bark, all bite. What was this shyness that came over her when he was around? There was something about his presence that was deeply comforting and she couldn't get enough.

Aelin didn't know when she had fallen asleep, but that night she dreamt of hawk wings and high places.

~

To her own surprise, Aelin was up at the crack of dawn. It was pretty hard not to be when the entire maids tower reverberated with the loud chimes of the brass bell that had been rung. She and Elide had dressed in their uniforms and went down to the servants' kitchen for their morning meal and the day's orders.

Breakfast wasn't too extravagant an affair. Boiled eggs, hard cheeses, porridge and an assortment of fruit littered the table, though soon after they had sat down a scullery maid had placed a basket of warm bread and a pot of butter in front of them. It was soft and flaky and when Aelin had put a buttered piece of it into her mouth, realizing that it was honey-butter, her eyes rolled back. The moan she let out was embarrassing enough that Elide hid her face.