Chapter 36

DORIAN POV

Dorian was still seething over Rowan besting him so easily. Although it wasn't a total fuck-up on his part. He had wanted to test the Prince's loyalty, yes. But he also wanted to test his strength. He certainly got both. Regarding the Prince's power, the rumors definitely didn't exaggerate. Part of him was humiliated. But the other part of him was actually grateful. The Prince was a formidable ally to have. And they had him. Or at least Aelin did. What a surprise that had been—that Aelin's mate was none other than Prince Rowan Whitethorn. He had sensed the bond running between them soon after they had entered the clearing. Part of his little test was also to see if either of them were aware of it. Based on Rowan's aggressive response, he was fairly sure that he knew. Aelin, on the other hand? He doubted she had any clue. He'd have to grill the Prince on their relationship status later. Aelin was like a sister to him. Even though Rowan could kick his ass easily, he would still be having a little talk with him at some point in the future.

"The coven will be pissed when they wake up," Dorian said.

"We'll deal with that when the time comes," Aelin said impatiently, "Quit beating around the bush."

Dorian sighed. This wasn't going to be an easy conversation. He wasn't even sure where to begin.

"How much have you figured out so far?" He asked her.

"Well, we haven't been able to confirm much yet. We suspect that Galan is making a play to control this continent. Sellene has intel from a credible source. Addison is at Varese verifying. But I think my parents have suspected this for a while, which is why they sent me away. Only that doesn't make sense because they sent me right to this continent."

"There's also the Ansel factor," Rowan chimed in.

Ah, yes. That little red-head was making things a lot more complicated than they needed to be. It was only a matter of time before she contacted Aelin.

"Well, you have the gist of it. Allow me to fill in a few of those blanks."

"Start with the witches and go backwards from there," Aelin said.

Dorian nodded.

"I made a pact with the witches," he began, "I'd help them get their wyverns back in exchange for helping them keep their territory in the Wastes. That also happens to be exactly where the Ansel factor comes in. She saw that the witches were weakened when their wyverns were stolen and made a play for the Wastes. But I'm curious, how did you two encounter her?"

"The first time was in a bar in Rifthold. She gave me a cryptic message then dipped. The next time I saw her was on a pirate ship."

"Come again?"

Aelin rolled her eyes. "Long story short, my friend thought I was in trouble, kidnapped me and then we got picked up by a pirate ship. Ansel showed up on it. Claimed that she and the captain, Rolfe, were allied. Though, Rolfe didn't seem to like her all that much, but she was apparently footing the bill for their voyage."

Interesting. Briarcliff was a near-broke city in the Wastes. If Ansel had actually funded a ship, that means that she was working with someone who had deep pockets. And if she had made contact with Aelin, not once, but twice, then that meant that someone other than him was keeping an eye on Aelin's movements.

"We had a private talk on that ship," Aelin continued. "She told me that I was a weapon and that why I was sent away. My power. To aid the other continent in the war to come. She said she didn't care about what happened here, as long our continent remained safe. She suggested that as long as I was alive, I could be used as a bargaining chip against Terrasen. That it would be safer for Terrasen, for my parents, if I were dead. And—and that maybe if I pretended to be, I could live with a bit more freedom."