Spiritual Fanfiction Winner Entry

Out of all the entries received, this one is my favorite

Jazakillah khayr @-ScatteredPearlz-

The smile on Ahmed's face could rival the sun glinting though the clouds overhead.

Mama patted his head and before she could start ruffling his hair and muss it up, he ducked away from. His schoolbag slung from a should as he scowled. "Mama, not a child anymore. I'm in high school now!"

"Beta, even if you become a grandfather, it still won't change the fact I changed your nappies," his mother grinned. "Nervous?"

The entrance to Lakeside High was bustling with parents dropping off their kids for the first day. Some parents lingered at the side giving their reluctant children pep talks, while others patted their shoulders and sent them forward.

"No way," Ahmed laughed. Though, his mother detected a tinge of nervousness in it. "Everyone knows each other. Pretty sure my classmates are all gonna be the same."

"Alright, behave, do your best and don't mess around."

"Kay, kay. Salam."

Ahmed hitched the strap off his bag up his shoulder. Despite the fact he had to repeat the motion several times throughout his way into the classroom, he refused to sling both straps onto his shoulders. So uncool.

In an area like this, there was only one high school. Almost everyone knew each other and their mothers' affairs. Perhaps some of his former classmates have decided to go farther out the town, majority still ended up here. As evident by the familiar faces he encountered upon stepping into the classroom.

"Heey," A short, stout boy called him. This was Qasim, he was quite friendly with Ahmed in their previous school. "You're quite late!"

"Late?" Ahmed snorted. "More like everyone is too early. What, is going to school trending now?"

"It's high school, bro. The feel is different."

"Whatever, what's happening?"

"Introductory assembly. Our homeroom teacher will come to take us to the auditorium."

Although the classroom must have been set up very cleanly, now it was a disorganised mess. Chairs pulled over to create little huddles, bags placed by the foot of the desks, and the students' chatters buzzing in the air, rather like irritating bees.

After Ahmed, a few more stragglers came followed by the homeroom teacher. He was solid, square-faced man, expressionless, giving the idea that no nonsense will be tolerated. He spoke like it too. A quick introduction and run-through of some important information. Before long, they were all lining up to head into the auditorium for the school-wide assembly.

Qasim and Ahmed walked together, perfunctorily greeting their other classmates and casually discussing about their friends circle and who went where.

"Shaffaq, Suhayl and Adnaan are in Class B," Qasim muttered, "it's just us two in Class A."

Of course, it wasn't just two of them from their school, rather two of them from their friends' circle.

"Was wondering why I didn't see anyone else."

Just as they entered the auditorium, Ahmed heard someone call out.

"Ahmed Shoukat!"

He jerked and looked back to see Shaffaq waving his arms wildly. Suhayl and Adnaan were beside him, one looking embarrassed and the other sighing.

"Good to see the kid hasn't changed..." Ahmed commented wryly. Vaguely, he saw a few people turn towards him at the call, none of the new students.

Actually, quite a few people turned to place the name to the face.