C H A P T E R - 12

Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

She placed the cake mixture into the oven before closing the glass door and straightening her back.

"Did you guys have a good time on your walk?" Her mother asked from across the kitchen where she was dicing some lettuce.

"Yes," she said, taking off her dark maroon oven mitts. Her mother was referring to their earlier brunch with Momin, when both of them had taken a walk before eating dessert.

"That's nice," her mother acknowledged, turning away just a little to grab a basket. "Did he mention something about your visa papers?"

"No."

"Okay." Her mother nodded, chewing the side of her lip. "Well, if you talk to him again, hint at it. The sooner you fill the papers the sooner you'll start living together."

Hareem nodded watching her mother continue, "A nikah is good, but living together is what builds a relationship."

She let out a shaky sigh. As soon as the visa would get issued, both of them would move in together.

An uneasy feeling settled in the pit of her stomach, but she shook her head and ignored it.

They had a lot of time before then, a lot of time to get to know each other and form a relationship. Besides what's the hurry anyway. It's not like Momin will change his mind..or will he?

A shiver went down her spine, rooting her to the ground.

No, he wouldn't.

Her hands trembled as she rinsed the mixing bowl, a thousand questions swarming in her head. He called me beautiful, he said I'm beautiful. He said my appearance doesn't matter. Why would he leave? She was already feeling a connection with him, would he leave despite that? She recalled Ahmad's behavior from earlier that day. Ahmed. Ahmed's rudeness might drive Momin away.

"Mama," she whispered, trying to catch her mother's attention. Would it be wise to mention it to her mother how unwelcoming Ahmed was being to Momin? Or should she wait for Ahmad to realize his mistake and apologize? Knowing Ahmad, there was a very low chance of getting an apology. Yet she felt hesitant about sharing the matter with her mother. Maybe she could wait a bit longer, perhaps there wouldn't be a second time.

"Did you say something?"

"I'm going to my room," she announced, setting aside her apron.

"Be back before your cake bakes."

"Yeah."

Making her way to her room, she stopped at Ahmad's bedroom door. She leaned against the closed door and thought of the times when they used to play gleefully. What had changed between them? Was he embarrassed of her? Did her looks cause the rift between them? Or was there something else that she failed to notice?