C H A P T E R - 44

Chapter Forty Four

Chapter Forty Four

The city welcomed him back with rain.

Raindrops cascaded down the windshield with the same intensity as the windshield wipers wiping them away. The green trees lining the parking lot seemed brighter with the wash as Momin pulled into his designated parking spot.

He reached for the backseat to get his windbreaker, deciding to leave behind the bags to pick up later. Timing his movements, he quickly exited the car and made a run for it to the building lobby. It was after he was securely inside that he locked the car with his car fob keys, hearing the satisfying beeps of the car getting locked.

He took his mail from the mailroom, a small room under the staircase where small slots with unique locks were labeled with the names of the residents. His slot was towards the bottom right, the opposite of his loft's actual location.

Holding the three letters close to his chest, he took the elevator that day. He couldn't wait to enter his haven and tear open the letter with the Swiss embassy stamp. The other two were from the University.

Several questions ran in his head as he made the three minute journey, making a mental timeline of when to start packing, when to start picking out a rental where he and Hareem would live, and who to rent out his loft to. Then there was also the need to have their Walima done, and asking Hareem if she rather leave right after the semester ends and come back later for the convocation or..and then to work out when his own semester would begun, and would the stip-end be enough for the both of them to live comfortably. There was a lot to think about and discuss.

A damp smell filled the loft as soon as he entered, reminding him that he had left the kitchen window open. The rain must have gotten in and wet the curtains.

Tossing the letters on the breakfast table as he rushed to close the window before more rain came in, he nearly slipped on the wet floor. Locking the window, he wiped down the wet counters with a hand towel before grabbing the mop from behind the small fridge to dry the floor.

He hopped from one foot to another as he took off his wet socks after the clean up and finally returned to the letters. His heart soared in excitement as he settled down on a chair and ripped open the envelope, his hands trembled the slightest as he shrugged out the letter.

He couldn't contain his joy as his eyes read the words in the short letter, yet as they traveled down to the last passage he didn't find the words he was waiting to read, instead his heart fell to the pit of his stomach.

The Visa had been rejected.

The document slipped out of his fingers and fell to the ground. His breath came out strangled as he buried his face in his hands.

First the job I loved, and now the only dream I have had for years.

He ran his hands through his hair, holding on to them as he tried to pull himself together. His heart felt tight in his chest, and his lips trembled as he abruptly stood up.