C H A P T E R - 39

Dedicated to the Momins out there, give us a chance too bhai.

Chapter Thirty Nine

Hareem tore off the photo from the bulletin board and started for the rest of the length of the hallway leading into the other academic block. She found several copies of the same photograph scattered on the bulletin boards accessible to all students.

With a move like that, someone was definitely out to ruin her.

Her breath caught in her throat as she jogged board to board, frantically tearing down the photos, hoping that no one had taken notice of them yet. It was wishful thinking, but it was the only hope she could hold on to when she saw an inevitable bad end.

She was near the club room building when she collided with Dur-e-Najaf, one of the girls from her history club. She staggered back, distort, as she waited for her Dur-e-Najaf to scoff and turn away. But instead her club member reassuringly placed a hand on her shoulder.

"Are you okay?" Dur-e-Najaf asked with concern.

"Um, um, I'm, okay. Thank you." Hareem stammered back, nodding.

"Okay," Her club member cautiously whispered. "Do you need some help?"

Hareem managed a nod, pointing to a torn copy of the photograph. She watched something pass in Dur-e-Najaf eyes, but the girl nodded in understanding and started to imitate what Hareem had been doing, taking down the pictures and tearing them to pieces.

Hareem's heart swelled with gratitude, but the words of thanks died on her lips as soon as she caught sight of Momin crossing the courtyard. He was dressed in far less formal clothes than he usually wore, so it was apparent that it was his day off, but his light slacks and denim shirt suggested he was there on official business.

Without dwelling on what she was doing, Hareem dashed towards him.

"L-look at this!" She shoved an unevenly ripped piece of the photograph in his hand. Her cheeks were flushed with exertion, the state of her racing heart apparent.

"I know." He whispered, trying to give her a reassuring grin. "They called me here for it."

Her lips trembled, shocked to her core.

"It's going to be okay," Momin told, his tone gentle. "I'll fix it."

He locked his eyes with her, waiting for her to nod. When she did, he took a step back, smiled and then continued towards the faculty offices.

A strangled breath left Hareem's mouth, but she squared her shoulders quickly.

She had to be strong, for herself and Momin. And even if she faltered in her strength, she wasn't alone anymore.

*

"This is our marriage certificate." Momin announced, placing the legal paper in front of the University principal. "We haven't broken any rules, and neither have we publizied our relationship."